Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New Zeiss Conquest HD - Focus Wheel Issue

Old Tuesday 27th February 2018, 17:58   #26
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris223 View Post
Is this possible that is it not an issue and maybe present on all conquest and that some users don' t notice it like "rolling ball" ?

I read some review on different website and about different model (8X32 ; 10X42 etc....) there almost all stated that there is a little free play in the focus knob !?

Again when i tested the bino i did not find it as a problem...
It is not present on all Conquests, so it is time to squash that idea
right now.

Jerry
Old Tuesday 27th February 2018, 18:55   #27
Troubador

I absolutely hate free play in focusers. My Conquest 8x32 didn't get to be one of my most favoured binos by having this problem.

Lee
Old Wednesday 28th February 2018, 17:23   #28
pbjosh

I have a near 4 year old pair of Conquest HD 8x42 with about 1000 field days on them in the tropics. Focuser continues to be excellent and slack free.
Old Wednesday 28th February 2018, 17:25   #29
HeadWest

My Terra EDs have an absolutely flawless focuser, so the Conquests that I bought should have the same (and I hope the replacements will).
Old Saturday 3rd March 2018, 20:02   #30
Swarovski Man

I have had four pairs of Conquest HDs and the focussing has been excellent on all of them, although there can be a tiny amount of play if you look ( or feel ) for it, but batch variation does exist and I know others who have had poor focussing. I remember trying a pair of 8x42s in one shop that had focussing so bad that it felt as though you were going over a series of ridges. On the same theme, my two Terra 8x42s had similar smoothness but different tension in the focussing; again, this is down to variations in different batches of the same model.
Old Saturday 3rd March 2018, 20:06   #31
DavidC

I have 8 X 32 conquest and I have not noticed jerky or notchy but for long distance viewing you are right on one side of the focus wheel. they seem to be great for adjusting viewing up to 20ft but once over this you are nearly off the focus wheel.
Old Sunday 4th March 2018, 00:22   #32
Lightbender
BF Supporter 2018

I was in possession of three different Conquest HD 8x32 within a relatively short period of time. The first two samples had, in my opinion, perfect focusers. Both were demo models / returned goods; and I did resell them because of minor cosmetic damages I didn't like at that time. My third copy went straight back to the supplier because it had (IMO) unacceptable play in the focus mechanism. Therefore: mixed experience. This was in winter 2016/17. But I still might want to try another copy someday.

Last edited by Lightbender : Sunday 4th March 2018 at 00:25.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 4th March 2018, 07:11   #33
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
I have 8 X 32 conquest and I have not noticed jerky or notchy but for long distance viewing you are right on one side of the focus wheel. they seem to be great for adjusting viewing up to 20ft but once over this you are nearly off the focus wheel.
Hi David

This sounds like your Conquests have a problem. Can you give us some more information on what you mean by 'nearly off the focus wheel'?

Lee
Old Sunday 4th March 2018, 10:23   #34
DavidC

Hi Lee

Its difficult to explain but they will focus very close, three quarters of a turn on the focus wheel will get you focused from about 5 ft to 13ft. then say the remaining quarter gets you out to 50ft. but at distance say 1km you have very little focus wheel left say I quarter of a turn......Even reading this now I think I am going to send them back as they are still covered under warranty.
Old Sunday 4th March 2018, 10:54   #35
Lightbender
BF Supporter 2018

I don't think you have to send them back. According to your description, it sounds like normal operation of the focuser .

Last edited by Lightbender : Monday 5th March 2018 at 00:01.

Old Sunday 4th March 2018, 11:16   #36
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
Hi Lee

Its difficult to explain but they will focus very close, three quarters of a turn on the focus wheel will get you focused from about 5 ft to 13ft. then say the remaining quarter gets you out to 50ft. but at distance say 1km you have very little focus wheel left say I quarter of a turn......Even reading this now I think I am going to send them back as they are still covered under warranty.
David

That sounds quite normal providing they will focus on infinity or at least the very far distance. If they will focus on the far distance and also close focus to about 5 ft then everything sounds normal.

Lee
Old Sunday 4th March 2018, 12:16   #37
DavidC

Thanks.....Just feels weird having all that adjustment and turn on the wheel for up to 13ft then the distance that you generally need 20 to 30ft having very little adjustment on the wheel.....I am pleased with the image though.
Regards
Dave
Old Sunday 4th March 2018, 12:44   #38
ceasar

They do that with the focus wheel so you can keep birds in focus that are flitting through nearby tree branches. Because of depth of field issues at short distances the closer the bird is to you the more you have to move the focus wheel to keep the bird sharp and follow it. The further away the bird is the less you have to move the focus wheel to keep it sharp and follow it.

You can test it by following a bird that is foraging around your lawn while you keep it in sharp focus.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Sunday 4th March 2018 at 12:53.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 4th March 2018, 13:08   #39
Lightbender
BF Supporter 2018

I always felt that it would be nice to have more focus wheel travel at the “far end” in binoculars in general. Because infinity is the most used distance, and more precision here would be beneficial. I also prefer slow focusers, and even a focuser like the one in the Swaro SV could be slower for me. I'm in a minority here, I guess. But looking through binoculars is a kind of meditation for me :-) No need for speed.

Last edited by Lightbender : Sunday 4th March 2018 at 23:31.

Old Sunday 4th March 2018, 18:11   #40
DavidC

Thanks Bob

Makes sense now.

regards

Dave
Old Monday 5th March 2018, 10:44   #41
Troubador

Dave
I do a standardised focus speed test on the binos I review and I count how many turns it takes to refocus from a farmhouse I can see from my desk that is 2.5 miles away (pretty much infinity as far as birding is concerned) to a point in my office that is 2 metres away and Conquest HD 8x32 (a favourite of mine) does this in 0.5 turns. This is pretty quick and makes it great for getting on nearby dragonflies, then distant birds and then back close again for a butterfly or a nearby warbler. My Zeiss SF takes twice as long at 1.0 complete turn for the same distance and I prefer it for birding and other types of nature observation. Leica's Trinovid HD 8x32 at 0.70 turns is a good compromise between the two and it has a great short focus distance but lacks a little in field of view.

So there are alternatives out there that would give you different focusing characteristics.

Lee
Old Monday 5th March 2018, 12:58   #42
Lightbender
BF Supporter 2018

I would like to see manufacturers to develop focuser systems with a kind of adjustable “multi-speed” mechanism. Perfect for dragonflies and lazy observing: SSF = Super Smart Focus :-) It should be technically possible, shouldn't it? No demand for it?

Tom

Old Monday 5th March 2018, 14:12   #43
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightbender View Post
I would like to see manufacturers to develop focuser systems with a kind of adjustable “multi-speed” mechanism. Perfect for dragonflies and lazy observing: SSF = Super Smart Focus :-) It should be technically possible, shouldn't it? No demand for it?

Tom
It sounds a great idea but look at the problems regularly encountered with today's much simpler systems: free play (movement of the focus wheel with no corresponding shift in the point of focus), rough-feeling focus, focus too tight, focus too loose. focus has a different torque in one direction compared with the other, and don't lets get into dioptre adjustment problems which are part of the same system.

The complexity of switching from one gear ratio to another to move between fast and slow focusing would bring weight, free play and focus 'feel' issues with it.

Put it this way, how useful would it be to switch between magnifications on your binos? Would this be more obviously attractive to more people that switcheable focus speeds? I would think so, but how many brands apart from Leica offer binos with this facility?

On the other hand maybe a mechanical genius could come up with a lightweight compact and reliable system and prove me wrong.

Lee
Old Tuesday 6th March 2018, 20:27   #44
henry link

Tom,

Kamakura Koki patented a simple practical variable speed focusing mechanism way back in 2008. Presumably it can be ordered now by any of Kamakura's OEM clients if they want it. Brunton binoculars used it in the past, but at the moment I think only Zeiss Gavia, Vortex Razor HD and Nikon Monarch HG spotting scopes have it. The post below has a link to the patent.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...3&postcount=36

Henry

Last edited by henry link : Tuesday 6th March 2018 at 21:26.
Old Tuesday 6th March 2018, 23:49   #45
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
Tom,

Kamakura Koki patented a simple practical variable speed focusing mechanism way back in 2008. Presumably it can be ordered now by any of Kamakura's OEM clients if they want it. Brunton binoculars used it in the past, but at the moment I think only Zeiss Gavia, Vortex Razor HD and Nikon Monarch HG spotting scopes have it. The post below has a link to the patent.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...3&postcount=36

Henry
Henry:

You have offered a nice view of what is available and why it is not commonly
used in binoculars.

It is too complex, not needed or wanted by 99% of binocular users.
I like to think of the KISS method, (keep it simple stupid).

We know what happened to Brunton, they failed with trying to promote a midrange product priced at the higher end.

Jerry
Old Wednesday 7th March 2018, 12:25   #46
henry link

Hi Jerry,

Kamakurs's variable speed focuser isn't complex at all. It might seem so if you try to follow the patent text, but the figures reveal that the only difference between fixed speed and variable is the shape of the cam groove; straight for fixed and curved for variable.

I think the only reason there is so little demand for focusers of this type is ignorance of the advantages, especially for binoculars with very close focus.

Henry
Old Wednesday 7th March 2018, 22:37   #47
NDhunter

Henry:

Thanks for that update, I did not read the patent info.

If it was important and really needed, the main line mfrs. would have brought this out many years ago.

Jerry
Old Monday 9th April 2018, 04:08   #48
HeadWest

Update here, incase anyone is interested. I received my third pair of these binoculars from the retailer. Thankfully, this pair lacked the stickiness and jerkiness of the previous two. Wonderful! Sadly though, they do have a small amount of "play" when changing directions in the focus wheel. So far, it drives me crazy. I am hoping though that I will get used to it as I continue to use these binoculars. Again, the optics are exceptional. Overall, this has been frustrating.
Old Tuesday 10th April 2018, 09:20   #49
Chris223

Some month ago i bought a 10X32 an the play in the wheel was present....Know i bought a 10X42 and it is the same thing ! So or we are quite a lot to be very very unlucky or it is not so "exceptional" !
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: