• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can Swarovski fix CA in the Swarovski 10x50 EL? (1 Viewer)

PlanetMaker

I just got a Swarovski 10x50 EL and wondered if I sent them to Swarovski they could fix the CA problem with them?
Thanks
Dan

Details?
CA is not something I have noticed in the central portion of the view to any real extent. Is that what you are referring to, or to the edges?

How do you find the CA across various parts of the field when looking at the moon etc?

If it is not a flaw, then I imagine that given enough money they would be able to make custom improvements to incrementally improve even the normal fully functional CA performance ..... :cat:

Chosun :gh:

I just got a Swarovski 10x50 EL and wondered if I sent them to Swarovski they could fix the CA problem with them?
Thanks
Dan

Under what lighting conditions and time of day is it bothersome for you Dan?

Personally, I'm not sensitive to CA issues as I've only noticed any CA in some really cheap binos under challenging conditions. I can induce a little veiling glare in the EL10X50SV under the right conditions, but can't see any CA issues.

Ted

It pays to try before you buy, of course the shipping charges can get quite high.
Try a leica 10X50 UV HD+, great glass.

Andy W.

In low light near morning or evening and only on the edges of dark objects with the contrast of the sky behind it
Thanks

Dan,

A few members who are real sensitive to CA have also reported this over the past few years. Think it is not a defect, but a design choice by Swarovski. You can call SONA (Swarovski Optik North America) in Rhode Island 800-426-3089 with your concerns, but it may not be a "fixable" performance criteria.

For those affected, I've read they moved on to optics that display to their eyes, lower CA issues. As always, "Trying before Buying" is really the best way to determine if an optical instrument will meet all of Your Needs! ;)

Ted

Last edited:
Dan,

A few members who are real sensitive to CA have also reported this over the past few years. Think it is not a defect, but a design choice by Swarovski. You can call SONA (Swarovski Optik North America) in Rhode Island 800-426-3089 with your concerns, but it may not be a "fixable" performance criteria.

For those effected, I've read they moved on to optics that display to their eyes, lower CA issues. As always, "Trying before Buying" is really the best way to determine if an optical instrument will meet all of Your Needs! ;)

Ted

I started a repair order with them and emailed them about the CA issue and if it can be fixed before sending it in so I don't waste time

Out of these that I've had, Zeiss 10x42 Conquest, Nikon Monarch 7, Vortex Viper 10x42, Kowa 10.5x44
The Kowa had the least CA, followed by Zeiss, Swarovski, Vortex and the worse was the Nikon Monarch 7

Out of these that I've had, Zeiss 10x42 Conquest, Nikon Monarch 7, Vortex Viper 10x42, Kowa 10.5x44
The Kowa had the least CA, followed by Zeiss, Swarovski, Vortex and the worse was the Nikon Monarch 7

You can always swap to the 8.5x42 model, they have a bit less CA.

In low light near morning or evening and only on the edges of dark objects with the contrast of the sky behind it
Thanks
I've had the 10X50 SV for several years, see what you're talking about and have found it in every other 42/50mm bin I've looked at. It's never hurt my enjoyment, as other make and models have. Eyeglasses and aging eyes don't help either...so I'm told by my optician. The ONLY optic where I see no CA is in my Kowa 883 scope.

Careful eye placement and IPD adjustment all but eliminated the visible CA in my 10X50 SV.

I've had the 10X50 SV for several years, see what you're talking about and have found it in every other 42/50mm bin I've looked at. It's never hurt my enjoyment, as other make and models have. Eyeglasses and aging eyes don't help either...so I'm told by my optician. The ONLY optic where I see no CA is in my Kowa 883 scope.

Careful eye placement and IPD adjustment all but eliminated the visible CA in my 10X50 SV.

I agree on eye placement, this morning was over cast and I saw no CA unless I looked off access and forced it

I agree on eye placement, this morning was over cast and I saw no CA unless I looked off access and forced it
Good!
I'm sensitive to CA and it's one of the things I look for when buying. Like most of my viewing, when I use a bin to find birds, etc. and JUST for finding things like birds, etc. every Swaro we have performs superbly with little or no CA observed 99% of the time. My 7X42 Leica Ultravid shows the most CA (50% of the time I see some) but I still love it because the center field is so good and 7X42 is wonderful on a rocking boat.

With the 7X42 Leica I do not roam around but keep my eyes focused on the center field. The "flatter" fields of the SV's and my 8X32 SE allow for roaming, which can expose more CA than if I stay center-focused. I'm a strong believer in user adaptation which, I believe, accounts for the often disparate views on BF. Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Dan,

Pileatus has offered some great advice. It was his informative EL10X50SV thread that started my investment interest and peaked with even more threads such as THIS one by Gijs! Through these two threads, you can find discussions of CA issues that have been accommodated by those seeking to enjoy the 10X50 virtues, and those very few who choose to move on.

FWIW, not being sensitive or bothered by CA and\or glare issues in the EL10X50SV (or many other great glass optics) may somewhat invalidate my opinion and experience to others. However, for what "I see", they provide a view that I still haven't discovered an equal to 3 years later!! :t:

Ted

Your perception on CA, with the Kowa being the most minimal followed by Zeiss mirrors my own and some other users on this forum. You may just be particularly sensitive to CA, as am I, and so will either have to deal with it in certain binoculars or stick with the ones that limit it best.

The Zeiss HT has probably as little CA as the Kowa/FL series (better than the Conquest IMO) and should be provide a high quality view comparable to the Swarovski excluding edge performance.

Justin

Dan,

Pileatus has offered some great advice. It was his informative EL10X50SV thread that started my investment interest and peaked with even more threads such as THIS one by Gijs! Through these two threads, you can find discussions of CA issues that have been accommodated by those seeking to enjoy the 10X50 virtues, and those very few who choose to move on.

FWIW, not being sensitive or bothered by CA and\or glare issues in the EL10X50SV (or many other great glass optics) may somewhat invalidate my opinion and experience to others. However, for what "I see", they provide a view that I still haven't discovered an equal to 3 years later!! :t:

Ted

Thanks for the info read, reading now........

Pileatus, they are still great glass are they not, we have two also 503XXX and 550XXX.
At 710 grams it is the lightest 10X I own.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back