• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified - Herefordshire, UK (1 Viewer)

Ghostly Vision

Hi all

Despite my best efforts at checking and cross-checking the field guides, I cannot put a name to the attached three plants.

One appears to be a Euphorbia and was common in several of the woods I visited yesterday (4th April). The red colour has me baffled. It was quite a large plant, about 30-40cm high.

The sedge/grass was small, about 3-5cm high with distinctive black seeds/flowers

The other has me baffled completely - I can't really put it in a family. It was also small, about 5cm high

Sorry if these are really dudey, common things - as I say, I have checked the field guides before posting but am still stuck.

Thanks in advance

Sean

Attachments

• euphorbia-herefords-040410.jpg
    euphorbia-herefords-040410.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 91
  • sedge--herefords-040410.jpg
    sedge--herefords-040410.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 98
  • unknown-herefrods-040410.jpg
    unknown-herefrods-040410.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Hi Sean the first seems to be Euphorbia amygdaloides spp amygdaloides or spp robbiae
need to be in the field to ID, 2nd looks like one of the Luzula's Wood Rushes family. 3rd again looks like one of the Symphytum tribe maybe grandiflorum Creeping Comfrey but there are 3 or 4 Comfreys with pale yellow flowers

just had another look at the second one it could also be Wood Melick Melica uniflora very tricky to ID from photos hope it helps you though

The first is going to be Euphorbia amygdaloides spp. amygdaloides, which is very common in the woods here in Herefordshire.

The second I think is Luzula pilosa, also very common. The leaves should be hairy, although that doesn't seem to be visible on the photo. Melica uniflora is much more delicate, whereas this is a tough, wiry plant. Looking at the BSBI distribution maps, Luzula forsteri also seems to be common in this area and is worth looking out for. The flowers on that species are held more upright in a V-shape, rather than spreading out sideways as in your photo.

Not sure about the third, but birdbot's suggestion of Symphytum grandiflorum sounds very likely - it looks like a small creeping plant, not big enough for one of the large Comfrey species.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back