• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Polarizing Filter for bird photography? (1 Viewer)

tom baxter

Would anyone more experienced than I (not very hard to accomplish) recommend using a polarizing filter for photographing birds. I am using a cannon eos 7d with a 400mm f5.6. My understanding of filters is very novice, I am looking on Amazon.com and I do not know how to find a filter that meets the specs of my camera.

I do know that I will lose multiple stops to a filter, but sometimes I have difficulty getting my skies to look the way I would like, and also shooting water backgrounds can be tricky. I am pretty new to photography and have been using my current set up for less than 1 year. I always shoot in manual and am getting the hang of it, although clearly I run into challenges at times such as the ones I have mentioned here.

Thank you for advice!!

Would anyone more experienced than I (not very hard to accomplish) recommend using a polarizing filter for photographing birds. I am using a cannon eos 7d with a 400mm f5.6. My understanding of filters is very novice, I am looking on Amazon.com and I do not know how to find a filter that meets the specs of my camera.

I do know that I will lose multiple stops to a filter, but sometimes I have difficulty getting my skies to look the way I would like, and also shooting water backgrounds can be tricky. I am pretty new to photography and have been using my current set up for less than 1 year. I always shoot in manual and am getting the hang of it, although clearly I run into challenges at times such as the ones I have mentioned here.

Thank you for advice!!

I would not use a polarizing filter for bird photography. The loss in stops just would not work for me. I want as fast a shutter and wide aperture as possible. I could see having a filter for standby for use on a scene by scene basis but would not keep it on all the time. I shoot RAW and can manipulate the photograph afterwards (sky). Reflections are not easily to edit in the photograph; best to use a filter.

If your camera lens is the "EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens from Canon" it takes a 77 mm filter. See link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12129-USA/Canon_2526A004_400mm_f_5_6L_USM_Autofocus.html

I would recommend buying from B & H or Adorama. Call them up and the can assist with what will work with your lens. Or your local camera store.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back