• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your pick, best bino harness you came to? (2 Viewers)

PlanetMaker

I have a question about what bino harness you finally ended up with for a bino in the 30-35oz area?
I want one I can use casually and quickly but also keeping protected while walking.
Also not to cut into my neck and have the ability to protect the optics when not in use.
Front pouch style or close body type that also cover the bino in travel
Thanks
Dan

Yes

The one that looks pretty good is the Rick Young Ultra-light Bino Harness?

That's what Chuck (Chill6x6) uses all the time, and I just got one too, though I haven't tried it yet until I get the right connections to my bin first. But that one has a lot of good feedback for it. And if Chuck says it works, it does.

I use the Rick Young harness too, and it's great. However, in the OP, it was specified that he wanted something that covers and protects the binocular, and the RY definitely does not do that.

I use the Rick Young harness too, and it's great. However, in the OP, it was specified that he wanted something that covers and protects the binocular, and the RY definitely does not do that.

That be me on the OP, trying to be open and mentioned it
I also like this one as a simple front pouch, leaving the bino's with there conventional strap around my neck in the pouch to carry the weight and for a quick draw from the pouch Condor MCR3 Modular Chest Panel 9x12"

Attachments

• Condor MCR3 Modular Chest Panel.jpg
    Condor MCR3 Modular Chest Panel.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 192
Lockdown binocular harness

I also use the RY system most of the time for most of my bins, but as pointed out the OP wanted something that also provides protection. For that I recommend the Lockdown. It takes some getting used to, because initially you have to pull down before lifting it to your eyes. I really like using the system when I am in the field all day with a backpack.
https://www.amazon.com/S4-Lockdown-Adjustable-Binocular-Swarovski/dp/B073245RC5

I have a question about what bino harness you finally ended up with for a bino in the 30-35oz area?
I want one I can use casually and quickly but also keeping protected while walking.
Also not to cut into my neck and have the ability to protect the optics when not in use.
Front pouch style or close body type that also cover the bino in travel
Thanks
Dan

Hi Dan..

I went thru a stage where I wanted the same thing, I had the same idea. The problem that I've found is that if it protects the binocular it usually makes the binocular harder to use or get to or cumbersome. When birding sometimes I need my binocular RIGHT NOW, now in even a few seconds. Saying that a pretty good one is the S4 Lock-Down Binocular harness. Vortex has one that looks pretty good too, The GlassPak harness.

As mentioned I really like the RYUL Harness. It's small, lightweight and will easily fit in most OEM binocular cases with the binocular. Just wrap it around the binocular and put both in the case.

I use Vortex harnesses. The wide straps are comfortable with no neck pull, they keep the binos tight to the chest, and in inclement weather I wear them underneath a zippered, hooded, raincoat. I've hiked the Olympic National Forest (rainforest) on several occasions and have had no issues.

Most of the harnesses have conventional attachments for binoculars and with my ownership of one EL that has the newer string attachments, the only way to adapt it is to use the EL Series Strap Loop Connector
Wish I could use the newer attachments with some of the newer harnesses

Attachments

• swarovski_44308_el_series_strap_loop_1430229041000_1131086.jpg
    swarovski_44308_el_series_strap_loop_1430229041000_1131086.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 31
Might be worthwhile to bite the bullet on the Strap Loop Connector. IMO, regardless which one you choose, harnesses increase my overall satisfaction with carrying binoculars several fold.
(I have two pair of Steiners with proprietary neckstrap connector systems, one of which I'm looking to replace. The connector systems are not cheap, but I imagine the Swaros are even pricier).

Might be worthwhile to bite the bullet on the Strap Loop Connector. IMO, regardless which one you choose, harnesses increase my overall satisfaction with carrying binoculars several fold.
(I have two pair of Steiners with proprietary neckstrap connector systems, one of which I'm looking to replace. The connector systems are not cheap, but I imagine the Swaros are even pricier).

I got a pair for less then $10

That be me on the OP, trying to be open and mentioned it
I also like this one as a simple front pouch, leaving the bino's with there conventional strap around my neck in the pouch to carry the weight and for a quick draw from the pouch Condor MCR3 Modular Chest Panel 9x12"

I used an Alaska Guide Creation Harness for a couple of years while hiking the Mountains with my 56mm Binos.
The best thing is the Top slim pocket where to put a GPS unit.
I switched away from it few months ago to go to the same Condor MCR3 Chest Rig, with a 6" x 10" vertical pocket from 5.11 .
The Chest Rig gives me better wind protection and the whole thing is less bulky (to me) than the AGC Harness.

Last edited:
In keeping with the time-honored tradition of Bird Forum, I diverge....

Coming from a 35mm camera use background, I found harnesses a bit too much. So, you may ask, what do you use? Vero Vellini's leather binocular strap.... yeah, it's expensive, but it's well-made, made in Germany, more comfortable than any strap I've used so far, and it looks drop dead gorgeous.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 112
I used an Alaska Guide Creation Harness for a couple of years while hiking the Mountains with my 56mm Binos.
The best thing is the Top slim pocket where to put a GPS unit.
I switched away from it few months ago to go to the same Condor MCR3 Chest Rig, with a 6" x 10" vertical pocket from 5.11 .
The Chest Rig gives me better wind protection and the whole thing is less bulky (to me) than the AGC Harness.

Good to see you have the one I just purchased, I like the simplicity of having a regular neck strap on the binos with the addition of a chest rig to simple drop it into to carry the weight and a quick draw from the rig to my eyes.
And later for casual use around the house and with the permanent neck strap

I think you will find you really need a couple of different options to handle different weather/environmental conditions and activities. Any of the closed in ones work well in dust, cold and rain. I tend to prefer one from Badlands. When I'm using them a lot on decent days I like the S4 Gear lockdown. I rarely use just a strap.
One thing to consider is equipping all your bins with a common quick detachable system like from OpTech so you can switch them around as needed.

Coming from a 35mm camera use background, I found harnesses a bit too much. So, you may ask, what do you use? Vero Vellini's leather binocular strap.... yeah, it's expensive, but it's well-made, made in Germany, more comfortable than any strap I've used so far, and it looks drop dead gorgeous.

You can get the neoprene model for around $40 also, great neck strap

Attachments

• V16041_1024x1024.jpg
    V16041_1024x1024.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 71
I use the RYUL harness, an easy to use and comfortable harness. No pulling on the neck and worn in the traditional harness manner keeps your bins close to you without any movement! Pop a 'hotel' shower cap in your pocket and you have a handy cover if a light shower occurs!

The one that looks pretty good is the Rick Young Ultra-light Bino Harness?

Its pretty easy to make a harness almost identical to the RYUL for just a few pounds/dollars using shock-cord, cord grips and a bit of ingenuity!

For a protective rig, I've used the Miggo 'strap & wrap' which is the solution adopted by Leica for the new Trinovid HD. If you opt for the Miggo, be aware that it only just takes a Swarovski 8x32, despite the marketing blurb saying it fits all roof prism binoculars up to 10x42!

RB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back