• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What a difference a tripod makes :-) (2 Viewers)

dmcharg

Hi,

After years of using binoculars i recently decided to buy a decent tripod and i am very surprised how much it has improved my experience of using binoculars.

My current binoculars are the 8x32 field pro which are wonderful and your probably thinking why would you put them on a tripod ? The 8x32 are an outstanding binocular for sure but when you want to view for an extended period using a tripod makes such a huge difference. You can really enjoy that massive field of view and simply pan around in amazement taking in the view. My viewing is a mixture of everything - birds, distant landscapes and basically any opportunity i can get to enjoy the fine view.

Despite my reservations about swarovskis tripod adapter i have been using a swarovski carbon tripod with the DH101 head and its fantastic. The tripod from swarovski is fantastic and i really like the leg clamps which are far easier to use than any other tripod i have ever used. Its nice and light and importantly extends to a good height which always allows me to get the binoculars at the right height for very comfortable viewing. With the right adjustment i have found panning around to be very smooth and somewhat addictive. No real surprise that its much easier to pick out fine details but that field of view is super addictive. I tend to take the camera with me but the difference in field of view between a 200mm lens and the 8x32 is massive, the fov in the binoculars is so impressive.

So if you have always used binoculars hand held i would encourage you to stick them on a tripod for extended viewing. See attached picture. A little picture from a short session enjoying a sunset with the binoculars on the tripod. I have been contemplating the 15x56 binoculars for a while and recent experiences i think have tipped me over the edge with regard to extended viewing with binoculars on a tripod. I've tried various spotting scopes recently but viewing with 2 eyes on a tripod is so much more comfortable.

1-3.jpg

1.jpg

1-2.jpg

Last edited:
dmcharg,

Nice to have the tripod to move the glass and mount your camera, my large lens are not image stabilized. Nice pics esp the first one, nice scenery overall.

I have the SLC 15X56 and mount it on a monopod for long night sky viewing, but hand held works OK too, esp in a nice chair with your feet up.

Andy W.

Last edited:
Well, I'd vote for shot #2 as being the most addictive wide angle view myself, even wider fov than your binoculars, I would bet. That's wide open scenery that I definitely could get used to, "In a Jiffy, Pete!"

By me there are sometimes similar views, but they are few and far between in the populated parts of the East Coast here in the US. I thought you were in California until I looked at your location! Nice countryside! Where is that shot from? Though I would prefer to drive to the top of the overlook you've found instead of hiking for the view these days!

I'll have to get my tripod out to the field one of these days too. Thanks dm for the inspiration and photos! Enjoy your newfound formula for fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back