• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Age of my zeiss? (1 Viewer)

Hello. I have just purchased a Zeiss 10 40 BGAT Classic. The serial number is 2182603. Could an expert in Zeiss binoculars tell me in which year they were made? Thank you. I have an other question please: Is it possible to equip these Dialyt with eyecups to improve vision comfort?

Hi,

as Zeiss West serial numbers (unlike the Zeiss Jena ones) are not consecutive over all models but rather have limited number blocks reserved for the different models, we need s.b. with access to factory records here... this means either Gary (who used to work for Zeiss, among other optics manufacturers) or Lee, who seems to have good contacts to Zeiss.

Hopefully one of them eventually sees this - but please don't press the matter - those nice guys do this on their free time. Or you could try to contact Zeiss yourself under https://www.zeiss.fr/sports-optics/fr_fr/l-entreprise/contact.html

As for eyecups, your pair of BGAT 10x40 should have foldable rubber eyecups like you can see in this image:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/17198853@N04/12468377883

If not, you should contact the seller about this as the sale was fairly recent or you could ask Zeiss, if they can sell you replacement ones. It is not possible to easily retrofit this model with twist-up eyecups, if you meant that.

Joachim

Thank you Joachim.
I have asked to Zeiss but they don't ansmer me. I think it could be one of the last model producted. Classic model. They are in very good condition, near new and boxed. I would like to equip them with winged eyecups if winged eyecups exist for 10 x 40B Dialyt.

Attachments

• 1_1557339943808-08204649-3705.jpg
    1_1557339943808-08204649-3705.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 33
Thank you Joachim.
I have asked to Zeiss but they don't ansmer me. I think it could be one of the last model producted. Classic model. They are in very good condition, near new and boxed. I would like to equip them with winged eyecups if winged eyecups exist for 10 x 40B Dialyt.

I don't think yours is one of the later models, does it have the T*P* on
the hinge?

I have information on a couple of 10x40's.

Ser. #'s starting with 252----, was made in 2001
and another 285----, was made in 2004

The last year of mfr. was 2004 I believe, but maybe someone can clarify that.

Jerry

Hello. I have just purchased a Zeiss 10 40 BGAT Classic. The serial number is 2182603. Could an expert in Zeiss binoculars tell me in which year they were made? Thank you. I have an other question please: Is it possible to equip these Dialyt with eyecups to improve vision comfort?

Hi

Only just seen this. Give me a few days and I will try to get date of manufacture.

Lee

Zeiss Wetzlar confirm the date of manufacture is 1998.

Lee

Lee is well connected and gets fast action from Zeiss. I have asked Zeiss USA and they either don't
want to look ser.#'s up, or don't care.

I don't like that kind of attitude, a bit arrogant and maybe someone from Zeiss will see this.

Jerry

Lee is well connected and gets fast action from Zeiss. I have asked Zeiss USA and they either don't
want to look ser.#'s up, or don't care.

I don't like that kind of attitude, a bit arrogant and maybe someone from Zeiss will see this.

Jerry

Don't blame you for feeling that way Jerry but I am wondering if this is due to the closure of the old Sports Optics office in Virginia and the moving of all functions to New York and maybe the personnel there haven't got fully up to speed yet. Thats a poor excuse for not getting back to you politely though.

Lee

Don't blame you for feeling that way Jerry but I am wondering if this is due to the closure of the old Sports Optics office in Virginia and the moving of all functions to New York and maybe the personnel there haven't got fully up to speed yet. Thats a poor excuse for not getting back to you politely though.

Lee

Lee, here is an update on Zeiss USA. They are now in the process of relocating
the parts and repair to Kentucky, and it won't be until mid-June until they
are up and running.

So, hard to keep track of Zeiss. I found this out because of a repair I currently
have in the works.

Jerry

Lee, here is an update on Zeiss USA. They are now in the process of relocating
the parts and repair to Kentucky, and it won't be until mid-June until they
are up and running.

So, hard to keep track of Zeiss. I found this out because of a repair I currently
have in the works.

Jerry

Thanks for this news Jerry.

Lee

Hi-I have a pair of Zeiss 8x20B binos with serial no. 2444995 recently acquired
Can anyone tell me there age please?
Thanks in advance
Ian

Hi Ian,

We tried to look up a date for your binocular today but there is no manufacturing date listed against that serial number on the Zeiss database.

The only thing I can tell you is that it was made after 1985 when they started putting serial numbers on compact binoculars.

Customer care at Cambourne have probably already given you this answer.

Gary.

Once again, looking to you guys for info. Would a legit Zeiss 10x50 porro have a serial number 816xxx? They are marked
"Carl Zeiss 10x50" on the left prism cover. No marking on the right side. Serial number is on the field side, and on what appears to be the CF knob. The knob is a thin disc, more or less. It is marked "Made in Germany" directly under the serial number. The pebble finish looks good. The body is the typical squatty style I would expect. I am guessing that they are probably a relatively recent reproduction of the Oberkochen, since they are CF...if they are even real Zeiss.

It has a case that matches what I would expect. The "Carl Zeiss" emblem is embossed right below the latch. The latch, though, appears to be on a leather strap that hangs from the lid, rather than the latch being connected directly to the lid. Not sure if that matters, but I do not remember my 8x30B case having the strap. The latch for the 8x30 was on the lid...unless my memory is failing.

They are beautiful looking, and I would like to buy them unless they are fakes. I am positive that they are not the old collectible version, but I expect they have nice glass even as a more modern manufacture (???) They are in the $400 range. Thank you in advance.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back