• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Results from colour-ring reading (3 Viewers)

Saw a female Shelduck on the Tees Marshes, Cleveland, on Sunday evening with a yellow darvic and black KC. Details recieved this morning.

Hi Toby . Thanks again for letting me have details of this bird . Yellow kc was a new bird caught and ringed on the 29 Jan 2012 as a 5 f at seaton marshes Devon . This is the furthest north we have had one of our shelducks recorded s...o its a great record for the group . ( furthest south has been one to central France and Holland to the east ) since 2006 we have ringed 317 new shelduck on the axe estuary and have just recently started to colour ring them all with yellow darvics and black 2 letter codes . The strange bit is it was ringed at seaton marshes and got resighted at seaton carew 452 km NE maybe a home from home or can it read place names ! Neil

Thought I'd kick this thread into action with a bit of recent stuff: -
- a yellow-ringed juvenile Yellow-legged Gull that I saw on Saturday (21/7) was ringed as a chick in Frankfurt on 18/5/12 and seen at Dungeness on 15/7. Photos and more details here.
- one of the Black-tailed Godwits mentioned a bit ago on this thread that I saw at Crossness, London is at least 12 years old - ringed as an adult in Iceland in 2000, and varying its wintering grounds over the years that have included Wexford Slobs, Ireland, Baie de L'Aiguillon, France and most recently Chichester, West Sussex.
- Also, as usual, a few red-ringed North Thames Gull Group birds seen on most trips out - this included a ringed 2nd-summer Yellow-legged Gull at Crossness on 4th June.

Cheers
Rich
http://rothandb.blogspot.co.uk/

Hi everyone

As a birder/ornithologist/ringer/ring reader I am lucky enough to get a couple of months work each year in the Yellow Sea. As I was just taking a break from helping edit a report on our work in 2012 was having a quick look at this thread.

A slight deviation from the British/European theme but some may be interested and it is always good to spread awareness about the area as it is being destroyed at a frightening rate!

Its hard to sum up in a few paragraphs but I am part of a small team working in northern Bohai looking for colour ringed/leg flagged birds passing through on their northern migration. Each year we see several thousand marked individuals (4493 in 2012) during April and May including hundreds of individually identifiable birds with engraved flags or colour bands. Main focus is colour ringed Red and Great Knots from North-west Australia which in 2012 we saw over different 200 individuals ... pretty cool considering we are 6400km from the banding location!

Far too many interesting things to list here but if anyone is interested reports for 2010 & 2011 can be found here on the left hand side (GNF Bohai reports...)
http://www.globalflywaynetwork.com.au/

happy ring reading everyone
Cheers, Matt
Should mention the work is for GFN and funded by WWF, Birdlife and Beijing Normal University

I was at Stanford Reservoir on the Leics/Northants border today hoping to maybe get a c-r gull or two on the dam.

No luck, but I was surprised how easy it was to read two metal rings on a couple of migrant Common Terns perched on railings. Both British rings but I am sure they will be interesting recoveries.

Going back to my more normal activities, a NTGG adult LBB Gull at Albert Village Tip on Thursday had been all the way down to Dakhla in far-south Morocco since being ringed at Rainham last October. It constituted the 115th c-r LBB seen and reported in Leics/Rutland this year.

Steve

It's been hammering northeasterlies for 36 hours and for the first time since I started looking there's a colour-ringed BH gull at the jetty on the River Bann in Coleraine town centre. The code (White J9J2 on the right leg, metal ring on left) implies it's from a Norwegian project. This bodes very very well for my trip out to the North coast tomorrow!

The two Common Terns mentioned in Post 84 turned out to have been ringed at Pitsford Reservoir, one in 2005 and one in 2010.

Steve

23 colour ringed Lesser Black-backed Gulls at Albert Village Tip (Leics) today - five from Norway, two from northern Germany, two from Holland, one from the Channel Islands and the rest ringed in England.

Steve

I personally keep a species list and totals of colour ringed birds seen and recorded in the field. So far I have had:
20 puffin (Fair Isle)
2 Great Black Backed gull (Leg tag)
7 black tailed godwit
1 turnstone
Also there are a number of med gulls at Yarmouth beach with leg flags but the missus tells me to hurry up when I am trying to read them!

It's been hammering northeasterlies for 36 hours and for the first time since I started looking there's a colour-ringed BH gull at the jetty on the River Bann in Coleraine town centre. The code (White J9J2 on the right leg, metal ring on left) implies it's from a Norwegian project. This bodes very very well for my trip out to the North coast tomorrow!

I've received the ringing details now:

CR-Code White ring with black code: J9J2 LBM;RBWN(J9J2)
Ringing Centre Stavanger Museum (Norway) Ring number 6174413
Species Black-headed Gull Larus ridibundus
Sex Unknown Age 3 cy+

Date//Place//Coordinates// Observers // Days/km/°
09.04 2012 Østensjøvannet, Oslo, Akershus & Oslo, Norway 59°52'51"N 010°49'57"E Mjelde, John Martin -
25.09 2012 River Bann, Coleraine, Northern Ireland, Great Britain 55°08'01"N 006°40'27"W Mills, Lowell 169/1168/250

Finally here's a Google map link to its previous location: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Øst...=Østensjøvannet,&hnear=Østensjøvannet&t=m&z=8

A couple of local colour ring results from the last few weeks -

Great Black Backed Gull - colour ring JY473 at Jacksons Landing, Hartlepool on 23rd Dec 2012 was ringed as a chick in Denmark on 30.06.2012.

Herring Gull - Jacksons Landing, Hartlepool orange darvic RU8T on 6th December 2012 was ringed Rainham Landfill site, Essex on 17.12.11.

Herring Gull - red darvic FX8T - Kirkham Rocks, Hartlepool Headland on 12.11.2012 was ringed Ringed 10.03.2012 Pitsea Landfill Site, Essex. Other sighting – 19/03/2012 Wat Tyler Country Park, Pitsea, Essex.

Med. Gull seen in Jacksons Landing, Hartlepool on 07.12.2012 - red darvic PKH8 - was ringed as a 3 yr breeding male in Poland on 20.05.2011.

Herring Gull was at Seaton Reach, Seaton Carew on 6th December 2012 - orange darvic 2227. Same bird was present in the same place on 11th February 2012. Ringed Seamer Carr Landfill Site near Scarborough on 30.01.2009.

BH Gull - red darvic '3.7' was behind the King Cod chippy, Seaton Carew on 17.12.2012. Seen in same location in 17.12.2011 - ringed in Amsterdam 30.11.2009.

BH Gull at Warrior Park, Seaton Carew on 28.12.2012 - 6415117 RIKSMUSEUM STOCKHOLM - The same bird was seen in Warrior Park, Seaton Carew November 2011 and on 17.12.2011. It was ringed in Malmo, Sweden on 27.03.2005.

Attachments

• BH Gull 37.jpg
    BH Gull 37.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 163
  • BH Gull 6415.jpg
    BH Gull 6415.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 160
Colour ringed Cormorant at Ward Jackson Park, Hartlepool on 31st December 2012 and still present on 1st January 2013 and today. Orange Darvic with black letters SlH. Metal ring read.

SlH (metal ring 5238308) was ringed as a chick at Abberton Reservoir, Essex on the 30th May 2005. Only other reports of this bird are 13/02/2006 at Hart Reservoir, Hartlepool and 27/03/2006 at Ward Jackson Park, Hartlepool.

Attachments

• IMG_1781a.jpg
    IMG_1781a.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1806a.jpg
    IMG_1806a.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 127
On 16th December 2012 a colour ringed Herring Gull with an orange darvic on it’s left leg with 1388 was seen on Seaton Common, Seaton Carew, Hartlepool.

It was ringed Isle of May, Fife, Scotland 6th July 2001.

Herring gull with orange colour ring 1388 was originally ringed on the 6th July 2001 on the Isle of May, Fife (NT6599) as a nestling in the colony there. It has metal BTO ring number GA24241. We then caught this individual on Ellington road landfill, near Ashington, Northumberland (NZ2689) on the 10th March 2005, and the colour ring was added. Since then I have received no sightings of this bird until now, so it is interesting that it is still alive and well.

Interestingly this is the first sighting from Ellington road landfill to Seaton Common (previous sightings have been at Seaton Sluice and Longscare Rocks). We have had several movements to and from the Isle of May from both Ellington Road and from Scarborough, where most of our birds have now been ringed.

Each quarter I summarise all the colour-ring information for Leicestershire and Rutland. Here is the latest summary. If anybody wants the previous three just ask.

Attachments

• LEICESTERSHIRE AND RUTLAND RRB4.doc
    40.5 KB · Views: 604
A colour ringed Great Black-backed Gull was on Kirkham Rocks, The Headland, Hartlepool yesterday morning.

It was ringed as a nestling Tromso, Norway 29/07/2011.
Gull colour ringing in Norway
Last CR-Code Black ring with white code: JP307 LBNW(JP307);RBM
Ringing Centre Stavanger Museum (Norway) Ring number 3034607
Species Great Black-backed Gull Larus marinus
Date Place Coordinates Days Distance Direction
29.07 2011 HUSHOLMEN FROHOLMAN, Bjarkøy, Troms, Norway 69°03'11"N 016°20'00"E ----- ----- ---
21.01 2013 Kirkham Rocks, The Headland, Hartlepool, Cleveland., Cleveland, Great Britain 54°31'48"N 001°10'42"W 542 1844

Another Herring Gull from the North Thames Gull Group moved to Teesside:
I saw orange MW1T at Seaton Meadows landfill, Seaton Carew on 17 Jan 2013 - originally ringed as a 3CY at Pitsea landfill, Essex on 14 January 2012.

I'm waiting for another from the same day, pale orange 1346, which could well be another from Ellington based on IanF's posting above.

Mark

GBB Gull black darvic white letters - JP618 seen today Seaton Common, Seaton Carew was ringed in Norway in 2012.

CR-Code Black ring with white code: JP618 LBNW(JP618);RBM
Ringing Centre Stavanger Museum (Norway) Ring number 3039018
Sex Unknown Age Pullus Date 28.06 2012 (07:00) Accurate to the day
Place Udøyfjorden Eldeholmen, Mandal, Vest-Agder, Norway - 57°59'08"N 007°35'00"E
Condition Alive and probably healthy and released by a ringer
Circumstances Intentionally by man - other means (includes trapped, poisoned, ring number read in field etc.). All captures (=ringing data) and recaptures (caught and released).
Hunted, trapped, poisoned intentionally by man (NB: not shot).
Ringer(s) Jørgensen, Finn - Wiblemo-Jørgensen, Gordon -

Sex Unknown Age Pullus Date 17.07 2012 (16:00) Accurate to the day
Place Udøyfjorden Eldeholmen, Mandal, Vest-Agder, Norway - 57°59'08"N 007°35'00"E
Additional information Jeg merket 3 unger på Eldeholmen, fant kun 2 idag.
Condition Alive and probably healthy and certainly released
Circumstances Bird identified from something else then the metal ring.
Bird identified from coloured or numbered legring(s).
Observers Jørgensen, Finn -
19 Days, 0 km, 0°

Sex Unknown Age Age unknown Date 26.01 2013 (10:00) Accurate to the day
Place Seaton Reach, Seaton Carew, Hartlepool, Cleveland, Great Britain - 54°40'11"N 001°11'25"W
Additional information Read by telescope. Was amongst large number of assorted gulls roosting on the beach.
Observers Harrison, David -
212 Days, 654 km, 239°

Sex Unknown Age Age unknown Date 03.02 2013 (10:20) Accurate to the day
Place Seaton Common, Seaton Carew, Durham, Great Britain - 54°38'35"N 001°11'07"W
Additional information Read by scope. Alive and well bathing/resting amongst other gulls on salt marsh close to refuse tip.
220 Days, 656 km, 239°

Black-headed Gull today at Seaton Reach, Seaton Carew - white J4Y7

Last CR-Code White ring with black code: J4Y7 LBWN(J4Y7);RBM
Ringing Centre Stavanger Museum (Norway) Ring number 6174134
Sex Unknown Age 3 cy+ Date 01.04 2000 (09:--) Accurate to the day
Place Frognerparken, Oslo, Akershus & Oslo, Norway - 59°55'33"N 010°42'13"E
Circumstances Intentionally by man - other means (includes trapped, poisoned, ring number read in field etc.). All captures (=ringing data) and recaptures (caught and released).
Ringer(s)

Colour mark put on: White ring with black code: J4Y7 LBWN(J4Y7);RBM
Sex Male Age 3 cy+ Date 27.03 2012 (08:--) Accurate to the day
Place Vaterland, Oslo, Akershus & Oslo, Norway - 59°54'49"N 010°45'30"E
Biometrical Head + bill: 83,0 - Wing length: 316 - Weight: 270 -
Observers Lome, Carsten -
4378 Days, 3 km, 113°

Species Unknown species

Sex Unknown Age Age unknown Date 04.04 2012 (--:--) Accurate to the day
Place Rådhusplassen, Oslo, Akershus & Oslo, Norway - 59°54'39"N 010°43'58"E
Observers Sandøy, John -
4386 Days, 2 km, 135°

Sex Unknown Age Age unknown Date 23.07 2012 (--:--) Accurate to the day
Place Aker Brygge, Oslo, Akershus & Oslo, Norway - 59°54'35"N 010°43'38"E
Observers Le Gall, Olivier -
4496 Days, 2 km, 143°

Sex Unknown Age Age unknown Date 03.02 2013 (15:15) Accurate to the day
Place Seaton Reach, Seaton Carew, Durham, Great Britain - 54°40'20"N 001°11'17"W
Additional information Alive and well on beach with large number of other gulls. Bathing and roosting. Refuse tip nearby.
4691 Days, 921 km, 235°

Colour ringed Herring Gull, Seaton Carew, Hartlepool - orange darvic left leg 1342 - was roosting in amongst a large number of gulls on the beach at Seaton Reach, Seaton Carew at 10.00am on 26th January 2013.

Herring Gull with orange ring 2013 was ringed on the 30th November 2007 on Seamer Carr landfill, near Scarborough, North Yorkshire (TA038820) as a first winter bird, with metal BTO ring number GN78429. There have been no other sightings of this bird since it was ringed.

I'm waiting for another from the same day, pale orange 1346, which could well be another from Ellington based on IanF's posting above.

Mark

Results back from this Herring Gull on Seaton Common on 17/01/13:

ringed on the 10th March 2005 on Ellington Road landfill site, near Ashington, Northumberland (NZ2689) as an adult, with metal BTO ring number GN77839.
Also seen at:
17-Jul-05 Lossiemouth Estuary
6-Feb-12 Rainton Meadows DWT NR, Durham

Cheers,
Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back