• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caution for illegal killings (1 Viewer)

Quote - Police Inspector Tracey Day, Bedfordshire Police’s Wildlife Crime Officer, said: “Wildlife crime in Bedfordshire is taken seriously and the force will continue to ensure that a positive approach is taken to all matters reported that involve crime against wildlife.”

Well said Inspector Day but I guess if he'd over-filled his wheelie bin he'd have received a fine. In this case he only shot three birds so he received a stiff telling off and told never to do it again otherwise he would be in real trouble.

The awful cynic in me supposes whether the judge or magisrate favours gamebirds?

Quote - Police Inspector Tracey Day, Bedfordshire Police’s Wildlife Crime Officer, said: “Wildlife crime in Bedfordshire is taken seriously and the force will continue to ensure that a positive approach is taken to all matters reported that involve crime against wildlife.”

Well said Inspector Day but I guess if he'd over-filled his wheelie bin he'd have received a fine. In this case he only shot three birds so he received a stiff telling off and told never to do it again otherwise he would be in real trouble.

The awful cynic in me supposes whether the judge or magisrate favours gamebirds?

The cynic in me thinks so too.

Wonder if I'd just get a telling off, if I went round to his shed & shot 3 of his Pigeons? |=@|

Once again ... The Law is an ASS! :C

So it's a caution for Killing THREE Sparrowhawks!
So how many do you have to kill, to receive any punishment? |=@|

Dirty B*stards like this bloke, will never, ever even think of stopping their evil killing of our Birds of Prey, until they are properly punished!
Sadly, most people who kill Birds of Prey are never ever caught!
I feel very sorry too, for the poor folk who go to all the bother of catching these SCUMBAGS, only to see them waltz off home with just a telling off!

Incidentally, I stopped my car next to a forest this very afternoon & stepped out, to the cries of young Sparrowhawks not far from me. As I listened to their calls, the little cock bird suddenly appeared & glided silently straight over me & on down along the side of the wood, losing height all the way, before sliding around the edge of the wood, just a couple of feet from the ground, off on another hunt. One of those magical sights in Birdwatching.

Astonishing - at this rate it will be open season on all UK's raptors:C

Surly the RSPB investigating team will appeal this insult to their work???

What's positive about the handling of this case? What a joke this is!!

S |=@||=@|

Is this the same Bedfordshire Police that 'lost' a key piece of evidence in a swan slaughter case a few years back? The RSPB asked for an invesitgation but I have not heard anything about it since. BTW, I took the initial phone call when I was seconded to Investigations and my sympathy goes out to Mark Thomas who worked tirelessly on the case.

It all makes you wonder what the 'positive approach' is going to be.

What's positive about the handling of this case? What a joke this is!!

S |=@||=@|

Agree entirely Sandra...

Semi- good day, 1 jay. Although, the sparrows had already stole all the days allotted peanuts. 2 of the 3 mallards stopped by. They'll eat corn I throw within a couple of feet of me. The bad, my very large grey tailed hawk paid a visit, but was unsuccessful chasing a dove. If I could only get him to chase sparrows, spackles and European starlings!

err ?????

Wrong thread i think Stilt

Is it the Police who decide to give him just a caution? If so, I don't know how Bedfordshire police can possibly say they take wildlife crime seriously.

Is it the Police who decide to give him just a caution? If so, I don't know how Bedfordshire police can possibly say they take wildlife crime seriously.

I'm not sure - i think it is, then any formal charges then go through the Crown Prosecution Service???

Is that right (never having been arrested)...

A caution will be issued by police. This would not have gone to CPS
The offender I guess would have zero previous convictions, he would have admitted the offence, there are other mitigating circumstances that would have amounted to this type of disposal, rightly or wrongly.
First time possession on controlled substances for example would more than likely amount to the same disposal. Rightly or wrongly.

Here in Malaysia, the wildlife protection authorities often buy the poached animals from their owners, especially if the owners are indigenous aborigines.

In my view this matter ought to have gone to the CPS and a court could have then decided on the mitigating factors ...if indeed there were any.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back