• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terek Sandpiper~SW Turkey (1 Viewer)

Atricapilla

Still Wandering
It had been really too hot to check my patch for about 4 days,then I switched on the television ,only to hear the familiar voice of Iolo Williams telling us about all the migrants returning early to Wales because of the weather conditions in Russia.
I thought, well,if they are returning early to Wales why not very hot Turkey as well,so I "braved the elements" and wandered down to the marsh just for a walk - about.
There were the usual crop of Kentish plover and Wood sandpipers feeding with the odd Ruff and Dunlin.
Then I noticed one Sandpiper looking a bit different to the rest.
I could'nt believe it,upturned bill ~ it was a Terek sandpiper.
Definitely my rarest lifer so far.
The first picture is of the Terek hiding from the local Peregrine which had just come screaming down the marsh scattering everything is sight,taking a Kentish plover from the margins on it's way.

Attachments

• terek 16.jpg
    terek 16.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 57
  • terek 17.jpg
    terek 17.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 61
  • terek 11.jpg
    terek 11.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Not wishing to intentionally belittle your record, which is indeed still reasonably unusual in your part of the country, but there have been a lot more than 18 Terek Sandpipers in Turkey over the past 22 years. The last years (1990–91) in which this species featured in the Turkey Bird Report (TBR) produced 28 individuals (see Kirwan & Martins, 1994, Sandgrouse 16(2): 94). We "dropped" the species from the TBR after that as the pattern of occurrence in the country was by then well known. Kasparek (1992) was aware of c.50 records in Turkey prior to that and Kirwan et al. (2008) in the region of 150 (that's number of different records, not individuals).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back