• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterproof jacket for birding in the UK (1 Viewer)

frootz

Hello,

I have read the various posts on choosing a jacket for birding. Unfortunately, mine has nearly disintegrated after much use!

My main question is:

Is black an ok colour to choose or should the jacket be brown / green / earth tone in colour?

I appreciate the fabric should be quiet if possible too. So any suggestions on what would be your "go to" jacket for Autumn / winter would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance if you take the time to post.

Emma

If it is mainly for birding then look at "huntin' & shootin'" clothing rather than walking clothing as they tend to be heavier but are much durable than stuff designed for hill walking. Even though it is for winter use I would still go for a combination of warm layer and waterproof layer rather than a thick insulated all-in-one jacket. It seems a shame to pay out for a decent waterproof and then not be able to use it because you get too hot. As regards colour then any dull colour will do, but avoid shiny ones. Even green and brown jackets can distract if shiny. Again if you need to be camouflaged, an overjacket ghille suit option is better, it does more to break up your outline plus you can then use your main waterproof round town and down the pub without looking like a red-neck hill-billy. You are right about trying to reduce rustle, but there "huntin' & shootin'" jackets tend to be much better than walking jackets. Also try to avoid too much Velcro, collars and cuffs are fine but if you need to rip Velcro to access the pockets and the main zip it can be distracting.

This is my current birding coat, http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/br_seeland/9385-seeland-lingfield-jacket-7331.html had it for a few years and has wonderful.

Last edited:
Many thanks Mono that's really helpful advice. I like the look of the jacket you have suggested it is a brand I don't think I would have found without your post! The idea of hunting gear makes great sense and isn't something I would have thought of.

You can't really beat a Barbour. Expensive, greasy ( even a bit slimy at times ), a touch poncy even but bullet proof. The only reason to ever replace one is if you get a touch too rotund to fit in it as, no matter how abused they get, Barbour can bring it back to new ( at a price ).

Chris

Have a look at the clothing in fishing tackle shops they cater for all weathers a good start would be look what's available at a big shop like Leslie's of Luton or similar.I wish we had one near me....Eddy
I have no connection to this company but have known it for forty years.

I really like the Paramo fabrics for rainwear - they're not noisy. They are a bit heavier than the latest outdoor gear, but on the other hand you can get something that is comparatively long. It seems that often companies target those wo want to save the last gram, and to be able to advertise a low weight they only produce jackets that go not far below the waist.

I find Paramo jackets run fairly warm (unless it's the very lightweight ones) and I don't wear mine unless it's below 10C. Their stuff lasts well, and because of the way it works a small tear isn't going to completely ruin the waterproofing. I've been wearing one of their jackets for my autumn/winter commutes for the last six or seven years and it's still going strong.

A few years ago Paramo started a separate range meant for wildlife photographers and bird watchers, Naturally Paramo, in muted colours. Their gear is fairly expensive but they make an effort to produce it ethically in South America. It used to be possible to get pretty good deals on `old' colours, but that seems to have become more difficult, and doesn't seem to apply to the `Naturally' range.

I'm a satisfied customer with no links to the company.

Andrea

You can't really beat a Barbour. Expensive, greasy ( even a bit slimy at times ), a touch poncy even but bullet proof. The only reason to ever replace one is if you get a touch too rotund to fit in it as, no matter how abused they get, Barbour can bring it back to new ( at a price ).

Chris

Sweaty, smelly, heavy ......

I wear a softshell, over a fleece, in autumn and spring and, because I'm a bit of a wimp, a down jacket in the winter.

Deerhunter Ram jacket(plain green not reversible) is an excellent waterproof jacket with plenty of pockets for storing stuff. I have had mine years and it has never let me down.

Regards Gerard.

Why do UK birders wear rain jackets rather than raincoats?
One would think that coming from the country that invented the rain coat they might appreciate the utility of such a garment.
A loose raincoat protects the optics birders carry, has plenty of pockets for guides and gizmos and is much more comfortable than a jacket.
So what am I missing?

Thanks Di, I've had a look on the site it looks interesting - I don't think the smock is for me as I would miss a zipped up jacket (I think!). Fantastic photos by the way!

Have you had any experience of the either the Falcon or Buzzard jacket that are listed on the site?

Hi Frootz

I've got an old Lady Falcon Jacket which is fine. Got it when I first started birding but it hasn't seen much light of day recently. The smock is very comfortable and you soon forget about not having the conventional front zip style on. If you get the chance, I'd say head down to a suppliers and try the various styles on and see which suit/feel best.

Thanks for the comments on the photos, still trying :)

Di

Hi Di,

Thanks for the information it is much appreciated - will definitely give the smock a go before deciding against it! It does look like it would be easier to carry equipment / back pack with than the Falcon.

Best wishes

Emma

I'm with Steve.
Cheapest possible as if your out in the field all the time, rather than sitting in a hide / car, it'll get ripped to shreds however expensive it is. Frist time my mate wore his brand new Paramo he ripped it on a barbed wire fence. Base layer, hoodie, fleece, cheap water proof & over trousers.

Hi Frootz

I've got an old Lady Falcon Jacket which is fine. Got it when I first started birding but it hasn't seen much light of day recently. The smock is very comfortable and you soon forget about not having the conventional front zip style on. If you get the chance, I'd say head down to a suppliers and try the various styles on and see which suit/feel best.

Thanks for the comments on the photos, still trying :)

Di

I've got a Country Innovation Traveller jacket, and on the basis of that I'd avoid Country Innovation like the plague. A nice fit, lots of nice pockets, but a very bad build quality and design. It's not showerproof, let alone waterproof as claimed (using their waterproofing products on it), and had annoying press-studs all over it - not only do these rattle if undone (making a racket like a ticking Robin in your pockets!) but there is no backing to them, so the cold metal press studs are against your skin on the neck and wrists, a really bad desing on a cold day as you're constantly getting ice-cold metal against your skin. Worst of all, the stitching on the seams is very ropey, and constantly snags on thorns and gets pulled.

It's so useless that I daren't wear it now, in case it rains, is cold, or I might go near thorns! A real rip off, in more ways than one.

I have a cheap Berghaus jacket for less than half the price that does most of the job better.

It's so useless that I daren't wear it now, in case it rains, is cold, or I might go near thorns! A real rip off, in more ways than one.

What did Country Innovation say about this?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back