• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird is singing this song? (1 Viewer)

This is going to be a long shot, but it's driving me CRAZY
I live in North Houston, 'my' house is on a partially wooded golf course. Every night at dusk from later summer through early fall I hear this bird. It sounds like it's flying as it sings and the best I can describe the sound--"deee-deeee"...trailing off into a chirrup.

Seems like a Woodcock to me too. On the ground they make nasal "peent" calls, but in flight their song consists of extensive, high-pitched twittering that could sound like your deeee-deeeee, and their display does end in a short chirrup. They're usually difficult to see, as they prefer dense forests and thickets, as well as fields edges but can be heard quite easily in the evening. I'll bet this is your bird.

Seems like a Woodcock to me too. On the ground they make nasal "peent" calls, but in flight their song consists of extensive, high-pitched twittering that could sound like your deeee-deeeee, and their display does end in a short chirrup. They're usually difficult to see, as they prefer dense forests and thickets, as well as fields edges but can be heard quite easily in the evening. I'll bet this is your bird.
But "late summer to early fall" ? I don't know what happens in Texas, of course, never having been there, but I'd be surprised if the Woodcocks are displaying at that time of year (Texans, anyone?).

I think the O/P's description sounds more like Killdeer, although I'm at a loss to explain the 'chirrup' part. And Killdeer do call at night, in flight, at any time of year.

Peter

Would an American Woodcock be in northern Houston at that time of the year? I thought they were only possible winter residents.
http://www.xeno-canto.org/59028

They do reside in parts of Texas for the winter, but as you Peter C. mentioned I'm not sure they do display other times of the year than spring. Is it close enough to spring for them to be displaying? TexasMockingbird, are you able to record the song, even as a video and strip the mp3? It would be helpful in the ID, if at all possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back