• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Genesis 22's (1 Viewer)

JoeJ

Anyone using these small Kowa binoculars? If so, would you mind sharing your thoughts, as to the optic quality of these mighty mites and how they might compare cost wise, for what you're getting, to other brands possessing similar optic quality - maybe even against the 32mm's.

I tried to revisit the ole thread on these binoculars but this forum advised that thread was to old and I wasn't allowed to post.

Hi - I have tried (briefly) the 22mm Kowa, and while i was impressed with its sharpness, i tried it for interest only. My attitude to bins this small is that the reason to buy them is because of their size; i wouldn't contemplate them as serious birding bins, mainly due to their natural physical restrictions (exit pupil being the main one). They just wouldn't pull enough light for general purposes.

If you're comparing to 32mm, then we have two different markets.
A 22mm would be good to keep handy at sports events, perhaps looking at architecture in strange town or at a music festival, but at around £600, i'd be looking at 32mm for birding as a minimum.
cheers
Paddy

Thanks for the reply Paddy7,

First off, let me say I really don’t know squat about most of the optic qualities talked about here on this forum relative to binoculars. My only experience has been with a pair of my father’s U.S. Navy 7X50’s, probably manufactured in the early 1940's, late 1930's and those went to my brother when he passed and a pair of Steiner 7X50’s that I purchased about 30 years ago – I’ve looked through a couple pair of Zeiss and Nikons over the years and was thoroughly impressed with their brightness, sharpness and price tag. This site has almost turned me into an optics junkie but so far I’ve been able to maintain my impulses, somewhat.

I'm not a birder per say, as I use the binoculars mainly for spotting & identifying game animals, ducks and various other animals & birds. I also need them while shooting prairie dogs, as when those little creatures just poke their heads up at 200/300 yards, I can hear them but can’t see them and searching with a rifle scope isn’t nearly as easy as with a pair of 7X50’s. I also enjoy looking over old trapper cabins/campsites etc when river/lake fishing in Northern Ontario, Canada as well as observing various eagles, osprey and animals encountered on those DIY trips. I’ve found over the years I usually leave my big 7X50’s home and hope someone else brings a pair of "smaller" binoculars that I can share.

I sold my 7X50 Steiner’s a couple weeks ago to afford an upgrade binocular purchase from a site member here – they are the 8X32 HD’s. Really looking forward to receiving them.

I currently have the opportunity to purchase a brand new Kowa 22 for $590, the exact price he paid for the 10X22 model that Eagle Optics sold recently. He doesn't like the 10X and would have preferred the 8X? I'll have them for another week to play with - then I either give them back or shell out more money than I really want to for this excellent pair of mighty mites.

I find that when looking at birds/squirrels/rabbits in the back yard – these puppies are super bright and extremely sharp compared to my 30 yoa Steiners. I find them just amazing, as to the sharpness and clarity compared to what I was used to seeing - probably due to the power increase as well as the lens upgrade.

I find the focus adjustment is just fine for me but I find they need constant adjustment when scanning from say 100 to 500 yards – seemed like the 7X50’s stayed in focus longer? Not a problem and I will learn which way to turn the knob when scanning further out and when coming in – right now, I’m 50/50, as I either guess right or wrong.

The FOV is a lot smaller than my ole 7X50’s but I can get on my target goal PDQ with these mighty mites, so I doubt that will ever be a problem – trying to observed an eagle on the wing might be a bit of a challenge, but I doubt that will happen but a couple times a year.

As far as color-cast, CA issues, rolling ball effect etc – I wouldn’t know what those conditions were if they hit me on the noggin – and that is another reason I asked for thoughts, as if these binoculars had any such issues – I would look for them, so I would at least know what they looked like. So far in my opinion, they are perfect in every respect.

If I decide to purchase these binoculars, I would probably use them mainly for camping trips and other such activities where I can just carry them around in a jacket or pants pocket to observe Nature in action - up close.

One minute I'm about to give them back as being too expensive for the few times I'll be using them - then the next minute I really like these mighty mites for the sharpness and the thought of having an excellent pair of super small binoculars for walk abouts. What I was previously planning on purchasing prior to purchasing the 8X32 HD's was the Nikon 8X42 MHD's for about $850.00, which would be about $600.00 out of pocket, after selling my Steiner's. I'm thinking the Viper 8X32 HD's will do everything I need done and should be small enough for walk abouts/camping etc - BUT BUT - these Kowa's are talking to me - I should never have accepted his offer to "give them a try".

Like I indicated - if I would have never found this forum and read threads concerning "quality" binoculars - I'd have been perfectly content with my big 7X50 Steiner Military Marine binoculars. I've even given serious thought in the past to selling a rifle, in order to afford an "Alpha" binocular purchase - now that's probably some sort of aliment.

Anyone using these small Kowa binoculars? If so, would you mind sharing your thoughts, as to the optic quality of these mighty mites and how they might compare cost wise, for what you're getting, to other brands possessing similar optic quality - maybe even against the 32mm's.

I tried to revisit the ole thread on these binoculars but this forum advised that thread was to old and I wasn't allowed to post.

After reading your 2nd reply, may I suggest that you consider the BD32-10XD 10x32mm Prominar XD Binoculars ?
I think you'll find that the increased objective to 32mm over 22mm will be a vast improvement. These are also on sale for only $324.99 reduced from $425.00.
Please feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss different options. We are an authorized Bird Forum retailer and here to assist you.

I'm a great fan of Kowa binoculars (I have the Genesis 8x33 and the BD 8x32 XD Prominar) but I think you would be better of getting a Swaro 8x25 CL or a Zeiss 8x25 Victory if you are after a compact bin. I have the Swaro and it is very good indeed.

Best regards
Gary

Thanks for the replies Doug & Gary,

After receiving the 8X32HD Vipers made in Japan, I don't think I have a "need" for a compact but the Kowa is super nice and there is a difference in the "sharpness & detail" between the two binoculars - might be the 10 power and coatings but there is a difference to my eyes - not a lot, but some. These Vipers are really small and light compared to the ole 7X50 Steiners.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back