• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Engage binoculars using Fluorite glass? (1 Viewer)

Robert Moore

I just bought some Bushnell 12x50 engage binoculars and in the specs it says it uses Fluorite. Can it really be Fluorite since they only cost $400.00?
The sharpness is incredibly good and the lack of CA has me wondering.

Last edited:
I know 8X42 is a different format, but how would these compare to the Bushnell Legend M 8X42. I don't believe the M series has fluorite glass. Midway has the 8X42 Engage for 299.00 on back-order. Are the Engage a step above the M series, just curious, really do not know much about recent Bushnell production just older ones. I was surprised and impressed with the view from the M series.

Andy W.

I haven’t looked through the M series but Cabelas has the engage on sale right now. I think I am going back tomorrow and also buying the 10x50. It is on sale for $220.00. I have the Leica 10x42 Noctivid and it is super sharp and the engage in the center is just as sharp and has excellent CA control and also very nice contrast. For 220 bucks it’s a steal.

ED PRIME GLASS
ED Prime Extra-Low Dispersion fluorite glass delivers amazing color resolution and contrast, and virtually eliminates chromatic aberration and color-fringing to bring out the most distinct details possible in low-light conditions. Allowing you to see clearer and brighter.

This is copied from bushnell. They must mean fluoride glass and not Fluorite crystal like my old Takahashi FC 100 telescope has.

Hi Robert.
There are different grades of ED glass.
Manufacturers claims are really not to be taken literally, as there is a lot of waffle.
This is especially true of cheap stuff like 15x50 monoculars and 20-80x30 or even madder binoculars.
The lower the price the bigger the fantasy.

The only way to know is to try a binocular yourself.

Happy New Year and good bird watching.

Dis-engaged

Good one, I had a chuckle, went through that with the M series and learned one thing...It's all about the sample, did you get a good sample.

A.W.

I just returned it and left with a pair of Zeiss 8x32 conquest hd they had in the bargain cave at Cabelas. They were just factory serviced at Zeiss and I got them for $30.00 more than I paid for the Bushnell.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back