• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro PCT tripod vs Gitzo GT3542L Mountaineer Serie 3 (1 Viewer)

yves0071

France
Hi,
Swaro PCT carbon vs Gitzo GT3542L Mountaineer Serie 3 :
I guess it is the same tripods, right?
(as Gitzo is manufacturing tripod & heads for Swaroski)
Thanks in advance,
Yves

If you are sure they are the same then go for the cheapest. I haven't played (yet) with the Swaro tripod so I cannot be certain.

However if you can find a decent (used) Gitzo GT3530LS - I found, that to be a better (?) option. It is lighter and more rigid, yes you do loose the centre column - but that is why it is lighter and more rigid.

Glad to see that you are looking at "proper" tripods for you scope - more important than the scope in my opinion.

Thanks John for your advice but I need a center column as I use tripod only with a scope and I need a quick height adjustment solution.
Swaro tripod & head (Gitzo) are beautiful but I do not need that level for my telescope :)

Thanks John for your advice but I need a center column as I use tripod only with a scope and I need a quick height adjustment solution.
Swaro tripod & head (Gitzo) are beautiful but I do not need that level for my telescope :)

You should be able to add a leveling base or center column to the GT3530LS (and most other Gitzo tripods) as an optional accessory.

--AP

Whether you prefer a centre column or not is a personal choice, personally I have gone off centre columns for all uses - but that is me not you!

As to what level of tripod you need? Just my opinion - I am primarily a photographer but I do use scopes as well. Even though I use the longest lenses I can get (currently a Canon 800 F5.6 L IS) I find my old Kowa Prominar to be more demanding on my Gitzo tripods than my lenses ever are.

You are looking at top quality tripods (quite right too!) so try a couple out before you decide. Have fun choosing.

Whether you prefer a centre column or not is a personal choice, personally I have gone off centre columns for all uses - but that is me not you!

As to what level of tripod you need? Just my opinion - I am primarily a photographer but I do use scopes as well. Even though I use the longest lenses I can get (currently a Canon 800 F5.6 L IS) I find my old Kowa Prominar to be more demanding on my Gitzo tripods than my lenses ever are.

You are looking at top quality tripods (quite right too!) so try a couple out before you decide. Have fun choosing.

Your longest lens is a 800mm :)eek!:) - but calculate the focal length of your scope with 20x, 30x, 50x (depends with the focal lenght of the scope). You can reach 2500mm just by twisting your zoom-eyepiece. :t:

So, if your Gitzo come the the limit, try a Berlebach… ;)

strong stands
Manfred

Your longest lens is a 800mm :)eek!:) - but calculate the focal length of your scope with 20x, 30x, 50x (depends with the focal lenght of the scope). You can reach 2500mm just by twisting your zoom-eyepiece. :t:

So, if your Gitzo come the the limit, try a Berlebach… ;)

strong stands
Manfred

The effective focal length of scopes can be quite long and they have to be held steady for viewing - not a fraction of a second for a photograph as with a camera (though cameras do need very stable tripods at the longer focal lengths). Hence my suggestion to aim for very rigid tripods.

I am not familiar with the Berlebach tripods so I had a quick look, interesting. However they do seem a bit heavy for my uses, I am carrying far too much already!

As to my 800mm? Well it was simply the longest lens I could get + I was lucky on the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back