• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (3 Viewers)

Wryneck, Madrid: Last saturday afternoon at twilight, perched on a dead tree, observing one of the hundreds of ant hills next to the Meco lagoon I was observing.

Life birds

My "life" bird is getting a good picture of it, not just seeing it:

My first “life” bird was: Roadrunner, 1958, Tombstone, AZ
My #2 “life” bird was: Bald Eagle, 1960, Klamath Falls, OR
My #3 “life” bird was: Golden Eagle, 1968, Denali National Park, AK
My #4 “life” bird was: Black-billed Magpie, 1968, AK also

I have had so many life birds since then I cannot remember all of them.
Pileated Woodpecker, Black- vented Oriole, Painted Bunting, Green Jay,
Brown Jay and many others.

C M

My last one now is California Gnatcatcher. I expect that statement to stay true for the next half year or so.

Niels

A couple of sort-of-lifers on my recent non-birding trip to Rome. Italian sparrow (does that count? I've lost track of who thinks it's a species and who thins it's a hybrid) and yellow-legged gull. Both had been seen before on holidays, but not since I started birding properly.
Yellow-legged gull is something I really should have seen in the UK by now, but St Peter's Square isn't a bad place for a lifer.

Siberian Stonechat at Titchfield Haven last Saturday and with a bit of luck Franklin's Gull today at Blashford Lakes two lifers in a week in my home county!

I'm intrigued to say that I've no idea what my last lifer was - or when it was.

I say "intrigued" because I was an obsessive twitcher twenty years ago and found missing any UK rarity really painful.

If I go away to new places, I'll certainly ensure that I look up the new birds I see - but the gripping need to add a tick to a list has left me - and I'm better for it!

Peter

Speaking of rarity-chasing, yesterday (11/1/14), I - along with many other birders - successfully chased the Olive-backed Pipit found earlier in the day at Yorba Regional Park in Anaheim, Orange Co., CA.

This was only the second record of the species in California, and the first on mainland California (the state's first record was a bird banded on the Farallon Islands, present 9/26-9/29/1998).

On a personal level, this was almost certainly the quickest turnaround time for me between finding out about a high-caliber rarity and actually seeing it - first found about it around 12:30, when the info was first posted online, then only about 2 1/2 hours passed before saw I first saw the bird at around 14:55. The birders with whom I carpooled actually found out about it through me. It was certainly an exciting afternoon.

Only 20 species away from 500!

Had 13 lifers during a 17-27 October 2014 tour of the Caprivi Strip in Namibia by the Namibia Bird Club:
- Shelley's Sunbird
- African Skimmer
- Purple-banded Sunbird
- Orange-breasted Bush-Shrike
- African Marsh-Harrier
- African Snipe
- Banded Martin
- Angola Swallow
- Jameson's Firefinch
- African Wood-Owl
- Bearded Scrub-Robin
- Bradfield's Hornbill