• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (57 Viewers)

This evening till dark 8.25pm at Flashes.
Teal 5. gadwall 6. Shoveler 10. Shelduck 5. tufted 6.
Avocet 27 (18 feeding upending in 1 st Flash ) - might be indicating that the cold conditions have curtailed any early insect hatching in 2nd Flash and consequently a late breeding season for the Avocet.
LRP 3. Curlew 2. lapwing 15. - 6 sitting. oystercatchers 2. BHG 950 MI . roosted. LBBG 5 roosting. Herring gull 1st summer. Med Gull 1st Summer.
kingfisher. Green woodpecker. stock dove 12. raven 2

Last edited:
Moors 4.30pm - 5pm
The strong cold easterlies forced down 30. swallows low over the pools. On the North Moors pool also Little grebe. pairs of both Teal and gadwall. In the secret garden sang Willow warbler, chiffchaff and cetti's warbler and a blackcap sang in the NM plantation .

Moors 4.30pm - 5pm
The strong cold easterlies forced down 30. swallows low over the pools. On the North Moors pool also Little grebe. pairs of both Teal and gadwall. In the secret garden sang Willow warbler, chiffchaff and cetti's warbler and a blackcap sang in the NM plantation .

In addition to the above a Kingfisher showed well in front of the east hide c.16.45 and the Swallow flock held one or two House Martins and half-a-dozen Sand Martins. Nuthatch again calling along east side and at least four Chiffchaffs singing between horse chestnut and east hide. Four Oystercatchers, two Shelduck, one Lapwing, two pairs of Shoveler and three Gadwall were he other sightings of note.

Report in the Flashes log book of 20 Pink-footed Geese at the Sailing Pool on the 25th January - hope they were just Greylags ....

Which side of the Sailing Pool is "the beach" out of interest please Phil?

Will be down there tonight time permitting.

Cheers

Phil O. After you have walked through the centre buildings you come to the surf shack. The beach is just past that ..where the cannes are stored on the shore. They are generally there in the morning but will move when people walk past. They are at the Moors Amy's Marsh as much as the Flashes
There is another beach in the SE corner of the sailing pool they can get there as well
john:t:

Which side of the Sailing Pool is "the beach" out of interest please Phil?

Will be down there tonight time permitting.

Cheers

There are actually two beaches to the Sailing Pool - one in the far corner passed the turn down to the Flashes and the other (where the Sandpiper was) approx 30 metres passed the Sailing Centre near the pontoons.

Due to start raining again at 4pm so after a day of easterlies and inland movement (Little Gull, Common Scoter etc) you might chance upon something.

Last edited:
Cheers guys....like you say, got to be a decent chance of something dropping in.....especially Little Gull....looking at RBA.

29+ on Bartley alone this morning without mentioning the numerous other places.

Fingers crossed!

Hello there everyone,

My first message on here. As I am new to the birding game I had my first visit to Upton Warren 2nd April. I just wanted to say thank you to all those who were happy to stop and talk to me and answer my questions. I have been to one or two places before and people were very standoffish and not very welcoming. So again for those who saw a lad with army combat trousers and grey hat, with a small camera, thank you and I will see you soon.

Nipped down for the Little gull, missed it.

At sailing pool car park (hoping it would reappear) in 10 minutes I clocked up
GCG 4. tufted 18. Common sand 2. great spotted w. Cetti's. blackcap. and lesser redpoll.

I was told there was a dunlin on the Flashes.

Work party Tuesday

Tomorrow we will be at the Flashes.
Still meet at Moors to get tools and find some little gulls8-P.
Work :- We will be cutting channels in the reeds at the Hen pool as we do every year at this time. This will allow better views of marsh birds until the reeds go back by June.
There are also log jams in the Hen brook which we will clear. There will be no impact on the Flashes birds during the work. :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back