• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Time to visit Texas (1 Viewer)

Alf King

Time to visit

I'm planning to visit Texas sometime in the future on a birding holiday. Thanks to my wife's occupation we are limited to British school holiday periods which means there are major limitations on when I could visit.

Can anybody tell me what kind of weather we could expect in March & April in Texas? Is it better to concentrate upon just a couple of regions rather than trying to take in various parts of the state? Any other pieces of advice for a visiting birder?

For information we have visited Florida for birding a number of times in the past as well as South-East Arizona.

Weather in March/April in Texas can vary from near freezing to the 90s F. Rain is always a possibility in the eastern part of the state, the area most visited by birders at that time of the year.

Many birders fly into Houston and bird the upper coastal areas (migrant traps after about March 15).

From there, the Hill Country, near San Antonio or Austin, will offer some specialty birds (Black-capped Vireo and Golden-cheeked Warbler) along with birds often found in west Texas. A great place to stay in this area is Neal's Lodges, in the town of Concan. Excellent birding for nearly all key species can be found on the property.

Of course, there is always the Lower Rio Grande Valley and its specialty birds.

Depending on time and budget, all of these areas are within striking distance in one trip.

If you'd like more specific information about birds or birding in Texas, feel free to contact me or post again.

Steve in Houston

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back