• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip to Caprivi (1 Viewer)

hammerklau

Hello Everybody,

we are going to visit Namibia in November. This is the second time for us so we are all right with accommodation, roads, etc. As we are going to spend a week or so in the Caprivi strip, I would like to know about the best reserve for birdwatching there. The Mahango is all right for game but I haven't seen too much birds there last time. I've been told, that there are some new reserves close to Kongola. Does anyone have some hints for us?

Thanks

Hello Everybody,

we are going to visit Namibia in November. This is the second time for us so we are all right with accommodation, roads, etc. As we are going to spend a week or so in the Caprivi strip, I would like to know about the best reserve for birdwatching there. The Mahango is all right for game but I haven't seen too much birds there last time. I've been told, that there are some new reserves close to Kongola. Does anyone have some hints for us?

Thanks

Do you have a copy of the Southern African Birdfinder guide by Chohen et. al. ? If not I suggest you get it as quickly as possible. I'm off next year and I found quite a few trip reports from:
http://www.travellingbirder.com/tripreports/default.php

Steve

I'd second the recommendation on the Birdfinder. I was in Mahango last Oct / Nov and although it was just before the rains it was still pretty good - Rufous-backed Heron, Slaty Egret, Wattled Crane, Broad-billed Roller, Osprey, etc...
Katima Mulilo (I think that is the correct spelling) down at the far eastern end of the strip holds a load of tropical birds that you wouldn't see elsewhere in Namibia including Shelley's Sunbird.
Or you could pop across the border into Botswana (which is really easy) and go to Shakawe / Roy's Cabins where Pels, and a whole host of Okovango specials are possible.
Surfbirds also has a load of trip reports (where I posted mine for what it is worth!)
Enjoy the trip - I have to say that we had an amazing time and would love to return.

I'd second the recommendation on the Birdfinder. I was in Mahango last Oct / Nov and although it was just before the rains it was still pretty good - Rufous-backed Heron, Slaty Egret, Wattled Crane, Broad-billed Roller, Osprey, etc...
Katima Mulilo (I think that is the correct spelling) down at the far eastern end of the strip holds a load of tropical birds that you wouldn't see elsewhere in Namibia including Shelley's Sunbird.
Or you could pop across the border into Botswana (which is really easy) and go to Shakawe / Roy's Cabins where Pels, and a whole host of Okovango specials are possible.
Surfbirds also has a load of trip reports (where I posted mine for what it is worth!)
Enjoy the trip - I have to say that we had an amazing time and would love to return.

I presume it's no problem taking hire cars into Botswana?

We had to pay the car hire company N$500 for a border crossing permit, but then we found the border crossing very quick and easy both ways.

I would really recommend visiting the Chobe Game Reserve in Botswana - easily accessible from the Caprivi. The birding is excellent and if you take a boat trip you will be well-rewarded with both birds and animals.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back