• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tsn-823 (1 Viewer)

asp09

Hi,

I've just ordered a used TSN-823 with 20-60x zoom & stay on case from a reputable optics retailer - should arrive on Friday. It was originally listed online as a TSN-3, which is what I was looking for, but when I called them it turned out to be a TSN-823! The scope body has the 'tacky paint problem' common in this range of scopes (although this is not visible with the cover on), and this was reflected in the price: £299. Am I right in thinking that the tacky paint will have no impact on the scope's optical performance and that this is still a fairly reasonable price even with this defect?

The price is only deemed good or not by the purchaser and the condition of the scope, particularly the lenses and coatings. The fact that it includes a stay on case should mean it's been well cared for and therefore the plastic "tacky" issue shouldn't come into it.
End of the day, subject to the points raised in my first sentence, £300 for an 82mm Fluorite angled scope with zoom (and waterproof) is exceptional value IMO. Also a much better performance than the older TSN3.
I'm sure you'll enjoy using it.

Thanks PYRTLE, I feel a lot better about my purchase now! In any case, I'll have 14 days to return the scope if for some reason I'm not happy with it.

Just to follow up: I've spent the past two weekends using my new TSN-823, and I have to say it far exceeds my expectations! What surprises me the most is just how bright and sharp it remains at 60x magnification, something I was just not used to with my Opticron MM4 60mm. My Gitzo series 3 systematic & manfrotto MVH500AH head are a perfect match for it and give me steady views even in windy conditions. The tacky paint is not really a problem; the only significant drawback is that I'll be reluctant to use the scope in very rainy conditions, as the stickiness makes taking the cover off and drying the scope a bit tricky. But given that the eyepiece is not waterproof, I would need to exercise caution anyway. So all in all, I couldn't be happier with this scope and, given the quality of the optics, will be putting up with the extra weight and carrying it around a lot more than I had been planning to.

Excellent deal...If the Paint becomes to nasty to deal with,just remove It with alcohol.Mine has been sticky for years,but is now to the point that makes a bit hard even to grasp ,so I will soon remove the residue off the body..not a problem..
If you find performance great,with the kowa zoom,treat yourself whenever you can to the new Baader hyperyon Mk IV zoom,and You would reaaaaaally get a top performance in that old 823..a Wide angle zoom of that quality is not a small improvement...

Thanks for the suggestion, Mayoayo; I've seen the Baader Hyperyon mentioned a number of times on this forum, but I must admit I don't know much about it. I'll definitely look into it. As much as I like the Kowa Zoom, its one slight weakness is its narrow FOV.

I've so far resisted the temptation to remove the sticky paint for fear of damaging the scope. It doesn't really bother me because of the SOC. The only time I have to touch the paint is to extend the lens hood ; I always carry a latex glove with me for that purpose, which sometimes earns me some funny looks from other birders :)

I would still be looking for the Kowa TSE x 14 WD lens. A good second hand one should be worth considering. It was made for these scopes.
P

I have been keeping an eye out for one of those, but they don't come up all that often (especially the newer version with the twist type eyecup).

There is an adapter to use old and current small bayonet EPs in the 820 series (called TSN-EC1A), so you could use that 30 wide, the TE-14WD. You might get slightly more magnification...

Joachim

Hi asp09,

Congrats on your TSN-823! Just curious which model Systematic 3 that you have, as I'm looking into picking up a used one myself to pair with my recently acquired Kowa (883). I also have the Manfrotto 500AH video which I just got a couple of weeks ago, and so far love it.

Best of luck with your new glass.

TB

Joachim: Thanks for the info. Those probably cost a little more than I would want to spend, so I will continue to keep an eye out for a used older eyepiece. But for the moment I'm happy with the zoom, which gives me a sharp image even at 60x.

TB : Congrats on your 883! The Gitzo I use is the GT3532LS, bought used. I’m really very happy with it. It’s probably quite a bit taller than I actually need (I’m 1.75m), so I’m sure the GT3532 would have worked for me too. I can’t really find anything negative to say about it; even the weight isn’t excessive (although the furthest I’ve walked with it is 4-5 miles). I’m sure a Systematic 3 would be a perfect match for your 883.

Joachim: Thanks for the info. Those probably cost a little more than I would want to spend, so I will continue to keep an eye out for a used older eyepiece. But for the moment I'm happy with the zoom, which gives me a sharp image even at 60x.

TB : Congrats on your 883! The Gitzo I use is the GT3532LS, bought used. I’m really very happy with it. It’s probably quite a bit taller than I actually need (I’m 1.75m), so I’m sure the GT3532 would have worked for me too. I can’t really find anything negative to say about it; even the weight isn’t excessive (although the furthest I’ve walked with it is 4-5 miles). I’m sure a Systematic 3 would be a perfect match for your 883.

I used to have the earlier (very similar) GT3530LS and found it just perfect for scope use. The best compromise of stability and weight that I have yet found for scope use.

Hi,

all Kowa eyepieces for the small bayonet scopes are compatible - you can put a current 20-60 zoom EP into a 30 year old TSN-3 (good idea since the 90s vintage zoom was awful) or a vintage 30x wide into a new TSN-663 (also fine as the old 30 wide is great and the current one is not much different besides having a twist up eyecup vs a rubber folding one).

So if you find a vintage 30 wide for cheap, you could adapt it to the 823 - but the adapter is about 80€ which might make this less attractive...

Joachim

Last edited:
Hi,

all Kowa eyepieces for the small bayonet scopes are compatible - you can put a current 20-60 zoom EP into a 30 year old TSN-3 (good idea since the 90s vintage zoom was awful) or a vintage 30x wide into a new TSN-663 (also fine as the old 30 wide is great and the current one is not much different besides having a twist up eyecup vs a rubber folding one).

So if you find a vintage 30 wide for cheap, you could adapt it to the 823 - but the adapter is about 80€ which might make this less attractive...

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, that might be a more worthwhile option - the TSN-3 eyepieces seem to go for quite reasonable prices.

That adapter is not easy to find,though,and It is expensive,..the few i have seen recently on eBay went for close to 100$,..I have owned and used all of.the new Wide angle fixed eyepieces on the kowa 823,..the excellent 32wide,..the 20x Wide ,and the superb old 50xwide(REMEMBER..the only one of the old style body eyepieces with upgraded coatings!!!!! )..all are great but none offers really any improvement in performance(fov,brightness,sharpness), over the Hyperion zoom..I cannot reccomended enough!!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back