• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk 12th-26th August 2006 (1 Viewer)

devilbirder

Hi all!

I had a FANTASTIC birding holiday in Norfolk, pleasing photos, including some good flight shots of Black-headed and Common Gulls, Close ups of House Sparrow, Blackbird, Starling etc. The highlight of the holiday and the whole of my birding life was my first good view of a Barn Owl, it was an exhilerating experience. It was flying from hedge to hedge, around and over our car and just after we were talking about Barn Owls, this magical experience occured on the 13th. It was just up the road from our cottage and we went back up there every night, we only saw it twice more, both around 10pm the second time it was sitting on a post for a couple of minutes alowing us to get a good opertunity to study its wonderful plumage lit up by the car headlights. A night or two after that we stopped the car and waited to see if it would flying by. Instead we heard a male and female Tawny Owl calling to each other! Then this bird flew and landed on top of a garage, it sat there for a minute or two then flew off and another one came and landed on a different part of this group of buildings, wow! Then another night I spotted the Barn Owl sitting on a wire above us we reversed to look at it but it flew off almost imediately. Other highlights included Scaup (Snettisham), Grey Plover, Little Stint, Temmincks Stint, 6 Spoonbill at Titchwell, Curlew Sandpiper, Yellow-legged Gull, good veiws of Common Buzzard, Ruddy Shelduck (Cley Marshes NWT), Bearded Tit, Whrimbrel, Wood Sandpiper, Lovely views of Marsh Harrier, nesting Swifts outside my window (my favourite bird!) and Common Seals at Blakeney Point Temples Seal trips. Photos of Scaup, Barn owl, Common Seal and Little Grebe are on www.birdnut.me.uk now and more are being added soon

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back