Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Yorkshire Birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 395 votes, 4.92 average.
Old Saturday 8th September 2018, 21:29   #21226
Gaz Shilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbox View Post
Anyone know if the spooners are still at Fairburn?
Yep. At least 6 knocking around Lin Dike most days.
Old Saturday 8th September 2018, 22:25   #21227
Birdbox
staringin2thevoid

Thanks.
Old Sunday 9th September 2018, 17:02   #21228
yorkshire83
Rob Hunton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbox View Post
Anyone know if the spooners are still at Fairburn?
I think there were 7 reported there yesterday (08/09/18)
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 22:18   #21229
wanger765

Has anyone visited Bempton cliffs near flamborough/bridlington, quite a well known spot so I am sure some will have..?
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 06:53   #21230
ButeoMacButeo

Bempton

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanger765 View Post
Has anyone visited Bempton cliffs near flamborough/bridlington, quite a well known spot so I am sure some will have..?
Sure most posters here will have visited Bempton - you're right it is a very well known spot. Most visitors go to see puffins and gannets both spectacular birds in their own ways. However right now Bempton is a great spot for migration. Rather than heading to the cliffs straight away look around the whole top area near the feeders top car park etc. yesterday (11/10) there were Yellow-Browed Warblers, Ring Ouzels. large numbers of Song Thrush to name but a few. Flamborough head is then just a short car drive away and not to be missed.
Old Thursday 18th October 2018, 00:52   #21231
arthur heaton

Went to Bempton last week,plenty of Gannets,including unfledged juveniles,Peregrine and my first Brambling of the year on the feeders.Found a Yellow Brow inland later in the week(no i won't say where),but Bempton is no good if you haven't got a head for heights.
Tip-if you park at any of Scarborough's long term car parks,including Filey,the ticket is valid for all of them.
Old Friday 26th October 2018, 19:26   #21232
wanger765

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButeoMacButeo View Post
Sure most posters here will have visited Bempton - you're right it is a very well known spot. Most visitors go to see puffins and gannets both spectacular birds in their own ways. However right now Bempton is a great spot for migration. Rather than heading to the cliffs straight away look around the whole top area near the feeders top car park etc. yesterday (11/10) there were Yellow-Browed Warblers, Ring Ouzels. large numbers of Song Thrush to name but a few. Flamborough head is then just a short car drive away and not to be missed.
Thanks for the advice I will check out Flamborough, I have only been there to play golf but will have to pay it a visit now.
Old Friday 26th October 2018, 19:26   #21233
wanger765

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur heaton View Post
Went to Bempton last week,plenty of Gannets,including unfledged juveniles,Peregrine and my first Brambling of the year on the feeders.Found a Yellow Brow inland later in the week(no i won't say where),but Bempton is no good if you haven't got a head for heights.
Tip-if you park at any of Scarborough's long term car parks,including Filey,the ticket is valid for all of them.
Sounds good, thank you for the parking heads up!
Old Monday 28th January 2019, 15:20   #21234
HydeParkDave

3 Waxwings this afternoon close by Headingley Rail station.

Also flock (30+) of Fieldfare on Model Allotments, usually only get odd one or two.
Old Tuesday 29th January 2019, 09:15   #21235
Sandra (Taylor)

[quote=HydeParkDave;3812036]3 Waxwings this afternoon close by Headingley Rail station.

Saw 40+ waxwings Brighouse Sunday morning near Lane Head hotel and berry trees opposite. Also huge flock of redwings feeding in same trees.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 11th February 2019, 20:10   #21236
jogresh
Registered nutjob

On Saturday, as i was driving up from Leeds centre towards Roundhay, i noticed a Red Kite circling around in tight circles not all that high up, maybe 100 - 150 feet. Wow cool, i thought, presumably from the reintroduction scheme (at Harewood i think?). It was just beyond the Tesco Sheepscar Esso Express petrol station and looked like it was checking summat out. Then ont way back into the centre next day, it was swooping down low just after i'd passed the same spot, being hassled by a crow. This is my most urban Red Kite, though i have seen them flying over Llandovery, which is not particularly big. Have people seen them regularly over inner areas of Leeds?
doesn't mean shit to a tree." Jefferson Airplane, Eskimo Blue Day.
Old Tuesday 12th February 2019, 08:42   #21237
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

Hi jogresh,
There are several kites that hang around the area of the A64/Ring Road roundabout. My personal highest count has been 6 birds in the air at once. There is someone in that area who feeds them as they gave been on local news.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 12th February 2019, 12:03   #21238
jogresh
Registered nutjob

Thanks for the reply Keith. Would be great to have kites coming to your garden. I've had a look at where that roundabout is online.
The one i had on the 2 days, i'd describe as inner city. It's where there are Afro-Caribbean businesses and a lot of terraced houses, not where i'd expect to see a red kite scavenging at all. Though of course, in olden days they scavenged the streets of London apparently.
Old Tuesday 12th February 2019, 19:12   #21239
Chris-Leeds

They're almost like pigeons these days I've had 6 chasing and calling over the house before but I never tire of seeing them even though it's nearly every day.
Old Tuesday 12th February 2019, 19:40   #21240
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

I know where you mean and it is prime territory for them as there are loads of fast food outlets so they get plenty to scavage from the discarded or dropped food. They have been seen in the city centre scavaging in the last few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogresh View Post
Thanks for the reply Keith. Would be great to have kites coming to your garden. I've had a look at where that roundabout is online.
The one i had on the 2 days, i'd describe as inner city. It's where there are Afro-Caribbean businesses and a lot of terraced houses, not where i'd expect to see a red kite scavenging at all. Though of course, in olden days they scavenged the streets of London apparently.

Old Tuesday 12th February 2019, 20:58   #21241
jogresh
Registered nutjob

Wow superb that is seriously flippin cool! I had no idea they had become that urban anywhere in the UK. Beats feral pigeons! I wonder tho if it is due to the fact they are from release programs. Perhaps not, and still a great sight in an inner city. :-)
Old Wednesday 13th February 2019, 21:06   #21242
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

The birds are descended from the relaease programs - but there are now a great many truly wild born birds in the county. A lot of the release program birds still hang around the Harewood Estate on the outskirts of Leeds. You can easily get double figures in the air in that area, not as many as when the program was running though, I can remember seeing almost 30 birds in the air from Eccup Dam wall. One of the Harewood birds turned up on Tyneside and bred with one of their release program birds.

Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 05:46   #21243
ternaround

We have Kites flying over everyday, without fail, in Otley, about 7 miles from Harewood. They have spread out and now nest locally in and around the town. They are not shy when it comes to swooping into gardens these days if there is food available.
Old Wednesday 27th February 2019, 11:12   #21244
WACCOE
Marching on Together

Dismayed at the amount of tree felling in Pontefract park for the new baths.
Sure they could of built this on the old Prince of Wales site.

World 1424 Versicoloured Emeraldl, Western Pal 528 Scops Owl, UK 401 Arctic
Redpoll ,Yorkshire 352 Arctic Redpoll
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: