• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Same image but which is best! (1 Viewer)

The Raptor

Bristol City's No.1 Fan!
I have posted two images of the same photograph, one in natural colour, the other in black & white, I know there far from perfect but which one is the best in your opinion.

ROD.

Attachments

• Starling 734 (2).jpg
    Starling 734 (2).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Starling 734.jpg
    Starling 734.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 99
Color. Only and always color. I do not understand the desire to display, or appreciate, wildlife photos in B&W. Landscapes, seascapes, and certain mineral and plant life OK, wildlife...no.

<--- My Dog's not wild ;)

How about a bit of both? Note, this was just done quickly - more time spent would be needed really.

Attachments

• Starling.jpg
    Starling.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 98
I like it rez, the b/w background with the starling in natural colour is excellent.

Thanks rez for posting, cheers mate.

ROD.

Gavin,
I was thinking of rezMole's picture when I saw the two you posted originally. I like it in this instance, the b&w background makes the Starling really stand out.

It's an often overused thing to do - put the background in monochrome - but sometimes it works. With a bird that is mainly B&W, by turning the background B&W you can emphasise the subtle colours in the bird (Magpie and Grey Heron below). It dosen't work as effectively with colourful birds, but can sometimes (Kingfisher).

Avocet and Canada Geese are just full B&W, to show that B&W photos of birds CAN look good. However, I would not just turn any bird into B&W. If you look at the pics in this month's competition, you'll probably agree with my view that most would look better in colour.

Attachments

• Magpie.jpg
    Magpie.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Kingfisher.jpg
    Kingfisher.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Grey-Heron.jpg
    Grey-Heron.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Avocet.jpg
    Avocet.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Canada-Goose.jpg
    Canada-Goose.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Color. Only and always color. I do not understand the desire to display, or appreciate, wildlife photos in B&W. Landscapes, seascapes, and certain mineral and plant life OK, wildlife...no.

<--- My Dog's not wild ;)

I like Black and white for some photos....can anyone say Ansel Adams, the father of nature photography? I liked some of the bird photography posted here in B and White too. It can be carried off if tastefully done....

Colour if the birds colourful. Black and white only really works for a bird such as an avocet, magpie or a barn owl at dusk. You simply need to choose the right subject for the type of treatment your trying. Another good rule to remember converting a picture to black and white simply to try and save a poor executed image never works its, still a poor image. Keep up the practice it will come in the end. Just keep studying good pictures and try to work out what you like about them that makes them special. you will find the coposition of the shot is the first thing that strikes you and then the subject matter itself.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back