• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aussie Bird Quiz (1 Viewer)

I'm struggling but here goes -

Looks like a large dark bird but brown rather than black (so perhaps not a corvid). Maybe a raptor of some sort, so I'll guess Wedge-tailed Eagle because I'm making the rather large assumption that the photo was taken in Tassie and Slater (the only guide I have handy) reckons Little Eagle are rare in Tas. Get the feeling I might be way off, but anyway....

This ones proving tougher to ID than the others I've posted recently - It's not a Black Currawong, Grey Currawong or Little Black Cormorant.

Nope not a Willie Wagtail either, they are pretty rare down here in Tasmania.

As a hint to all, I'll confirm that the bird is common enough in Tasmania, and is not a currawong or corvid of any description and it is also not a bird of prey...

Nope not a Blackbird either.

Having never posted a photo on this thread that's taken more than 24 hours to be ID'd - should I be posting the answer at some point? What if I give another clue: The bird is generally found around water.

Wow, that as much as any picture I've seen on this forum shows just how a snapshot can deceive the eye. The totally unfamiliar bird in the first pic is transformed almost magically into a very familiar Aussie bird in the next. Remarkable.

I agree. I was surprised at the range of guesses, the bird gave an impression ranging from Blackbird to Wedge-tailed Eagle! It really highlights how hard it can be to gauge the size of a bird in a photograph. I wouldn't have stood a chance getting this one right based on the first photo I posted. It was a tough one.

Anyone else like to post a photo?

Anyone else like to post a photo?

OK, here's another one from me, but again its been used previously on another forum (I don't have a lot of material), so if you recognised the last one, you'll probably recognise this one too!

(photo taken by my brother and used with permission)

Attachments

• Comp3_BC_(M)_crop.JPG
    Comp3_BC_(M)_crop.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 78
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back