• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon S Es (2 Viewers)

Henry B

Just been on the updated Nikon site ,but could not find any sign of the S Es, have they been discontinued or have I overlooked them??.

elgin5050.fsnet said:
Just been on the updated Nikon site ,but could not find any sign of the S Es, have they been discontinued or have I overlooked them??.

In America they changed the name from "Superior E" to "Premier SE". Next it'll be "Best Ever PSE" and then "Really Rather Nice BEPSE". Aint marketing great.

I couldn't find them on the UK site either though a few shops stock them. I suspect that in the UK Nikon make no effort to sell them for some reason. Might explain why I have never seen a pair in the field.

elgin5050.fsnet said:

Have a look at

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=4&grp=15&productNr=7311

These are the 10X42 versions, but they do not give any details. The page before
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=4&grp=15 allows you to choose which Premier SE version to look at.

You just asked the question I was about to ask. Are they being phased out or are they just not popular. I would like to have a look at a set of 10x42's somewhere in NW England but can not find anywhere that stocks them. If I have to save up for 12 months to buy them I do not want to find that by the time I have the money nobody has any to sell.

I think the problem is with the weirdness of Nikon's website structure, rather than with any likelihood that the SE's will be discontinued soon. This is an enormously successful and for Nikon highly prestigious line of products, and there are enough upscale birders out there to provide an adequate market.

Certainly if one is willing to buy online/mail order, there should be no problem obtaining any of the SE binoculars. For local in-store merchants, there simply might not be enough demand to justify stocking them.

That said, I must say that almost nothing Nikon does with regard to marketing surprises me. It's not the strong suit of that company.

Hi all,

Four weeks ago, I was trying to buy these online in the UK. Most of the companies I contacted did not have them in stock; more than one company returned my call after apparently contacting Nikon UK, saying that Nikon would not have any for at least four weeks.....

Andy.

Some U.S. web dealers do have "Premier SE's" in stock, apparently. It occurs to me that if these binocs are currently scarce it may be because they are so popular, not because they are NOT popular. Remember, this is a model that is consistently reputed to give the very highest performance of any model, and yet they sell for hundreds of dollars less than roof prism models of similar quality.

Doug Greenberg said:
Some U.S. web dealers do have "Premier SE's" in stock, apparently. It occurs to me that if these binocs are currently scarce it may be because they are so popular, not because they are NOT popular. Remember, this is a model that is consistently reputed to give the very highest performance of any model, and yet they sell for hundreds of dollars less than roof prism models of similar quality.

It wouldn't surprise me they made them in small batches and that rcent plaudits on this forum and others have increased sales over and above expectations.

Warehouse Express have them, Ace Cameras in bath have them, and so do Wilkinsons cameras in their Preston and in Kendal shops. Having traced them I am going to the Kendal shop later next week, we shall be there for the best part of a fortnight anyway so I'm looking forward to it.

bill lord said:
Having traced them I am going to the Kendal shop later next week, we shall be there for the best part of a fortnight anyway so I'm looking forward to it.

That's a awful long time to spend in one shop. Well, at least you will be sure to have tested them thoroughly.

Leif

Leif said:
That's a awful long time to spend in one shop. Well, at least you will be sure to have tested them thoroughly.

Leif

I didn't read it like that when I wrote it, but now you mention it it does seem a long time to be in a shop. I think the assistants would want to go home occassionally. What I actually meant is that we shall be stopping in the Kendal area for a fortnight, you never know I might even persuade them that they do not want £50 more than warehouse Express and Ace Cameras for the SE's, so I may even come home as the proud owner of a set.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back