• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Strap Slipping! (1 Viewer)

Bish

I recently bought a new pair of Swarovski EL 8.5 x 42 & have noticed after walking a few miles the strap gradually slips by about 3" - 4".

I shorten up again & lock the clips in position & try to pull it out but it won't, I carry on walking & by the time I arrive home it's happened again!, It seems the motion of walking & bins swinging allow this to happen.

Has anyone else come across this annoyance?

Regards Bish. :t:

Looks I should be glad I got the old design, which doesn't slip at all. Do you ever get the impression that, whilst Swaros are excellent optically, they are a bit shoddy on the bits and pieces?

i had the same problem with the "lifting strap" on my new swaros (slipping) but Swarovski customer service promptly sent me a new strap. I haven't tried the new one yet.

Taake a needle and black thread. Run a couple of stitches through the doubled strap on either side 5cm above the bins. It'll never slip again.

Den said:
Taake a needle and black thread. Run a couple of stitches through the doubled strap on either side 5cm above the bins. It'll never slip again.
Needle and Thread!!! Let me get this straight, a $42 strap on a $1700 pair of binoculars and we have to do our own sewing? Whatever. At least Swaro made good and sent me a new one, but that one slips too! A 10 for Sskis optics but a 4 on the strap.

flybuy said:
Needle and Thread!!! Let me get this straight, a $42 strap on a $1700 pair of binoculars and we have to do our own sewing? Whatever. At least Swaro made good and sent me a new one, but that one slips too! A 10 for Sskis optics but a 4 on the strap.

You know those big safety pins used on blankets? They are about 2 to 3 inches long. Get 2 of them and hook them onto the strap where needed to keep it from slipping. That will solve your problem. :t:

I cured mine with self amalgamating tape

Lift up the loose end of the strap take a turn around the strap, let the loose end down take two more turns around both & mould tape together

The tape can easily be removed & leaves no residue & it won't slip

I thought about returning the strap under warranty but it will only be replaced by another with the same design faults

I've just noticed both of of the plastic sleeves have cracks in them!
On second thoughts I think I will chase them up about it
I love the bins but the strap is c##p

Take a close look at your own to see if they are cracked
I purchased mine on the 30/01/2006 so they are only 7 weeks old

Regards Bish. :C

Needle and thread cures strap slippage. I even use it on my Nikon 600mm IFED 6kg lens combo. You can't see the stitches, its theraputic, its cheap and above all it works even on gear costing £££££ or $$$$$$$. Don't knock it until you've tried it Flybuy!!

hawkwind said:
Had the same problem ..super glued em !

Has anybody tried vise-grips? Rather bulky and heavy I'll grant you! Someone once said that there is nothing that can't be fixed or repaired with either Vise-grips or duct tape.

Duct tape?!!

Now there's an idea!

Bob :'D

There is new hardware availible to fix this problem, contact your local dealer to learn more. Also Swarovski has come out with a new shoulder harness (solid strap not elastic) the mechanisim to attach to binos is designed for Swarovski (no more split ring & plastic quick tie) model #49282. Michael Woertman, Rocky Mountain Eagle Research Foundation, www.eaglewatch.ca

Bish said:
I cured mine with self amalgamating tape

Lift up the loose end of the strap take a turn around the strap, let the loose end down take two more turns around both & mould tape together

The tape can easily be removed & leaves no residue & it won't slip

I thought about returning the strap under warranty but it will only be replaced by another with the same design faults

I've just noticed both of of the plastic sleeves have cracks in them!
On second thoughts I think I will chase them up about it
I love the bins but the strap is c##p

Take a close look at your own to see if they are cracked
I purchased mine on the 30/01/2006 so they are only 7 weeks old

Regards Bish. :C
Got the same problem with the strap slipping and also lost one of the crap plastic sleeves. They have now been stiched with black cotton which does a better job ,than crap plastic

valley boy said:
Got the same problem with the strap slipping and also lost one of the crap plastic sleeves. They have now been stiched with black cotton which does a better job ,than crap plastic
I contacted Swarovski in the UK and they are aware of the slipping strap problem and are apparently looking at the design. They said that they have only recently been made aware of the problem. Perhaps people who cpmplained about it on this forum did not let them know!!
The plastic fastening sleeves on both pairs that I have recently purchased have cracked. They sent me new ones by return of post which have apparently been redesigned.
I think the bins themselves are superb and the idea of the quick adjustment strap is superb. It is the most comfortable neck strap I have ever used. I am sure that they will get the adjusters right and I will make sure I get two new straps when the problem is solved.

jeweller said:
I contacted Swarovski in the UK and they are aware of the slipping strap problem and are apparently looking at the design. They said that they have only recently been made aware of the problem. Perhaps people who cpmplained about it on this forum did not let them know!!
The plastic fastening sleeves on both pairs that I have recently purchased have cracked. They sent me new ones by return of post which have apparently been redesigned.
I think the bins themselves are superb and the idea of the quick adjustment strap is superb. It is the most comfortable neck strap I have ever used. I am sure that they will get the adjusters right and I will make sure I get two new straps when the problem is solved.

I emailed Swarovski UK on monday evening about the slipping strap/cracked sleeve problem & asked if they could send me 2 new sleeves
Today when I arrived home I found a complete new strap had been sent so top marks for customer service!

As for the sleeves being redesigned the ones on the replacement are identical to my existing strap so time will tell on these
I'm sure now they are aware of this problem it will soon be rectified & don't let it put anyone off from purchasing what is an excellent pair of binoculars

Received a new strap

Bish said:
I emailed Swarovski UK on monday evening about the slipping strap/cracked sleeve problem & asked if they could send me 2 new sleeves
Today when I arrived home I found a complete new strap had been sent so top marks for customer service!

As for the sleeves being redesigned the ones on the replacement are identical to my existing strap so time will tell on these
I'm sure now they are aware of this problem it will soon be rectified & don't let it put anyone off from purchasing what is an excellent pair of binoculars

I, also, received a new strap from Swarovski after having three sleeves crack. Looks like the same design of sleeve to me.

I will watch them carefully because the "cuff link" on the strap, without the sleeve makes me nervous. (Of course, stitching the strap could solve the issue.)

I had the same strap problem, and was going to send for my valet to get him to put in a few stitches. Then I remembered I'd fired him. Couldn't afford his salary after buying two pairs of Swaro bins and a Swaro scope. Butler had to go too. But what really, really hurt was giving old nanny her marching orders. Poor old nan. So many years of faithful service. Relying on me to care for her in her old age. She looked at me with her sad, rheumy old eyes and said 'Do I really mean less to you than a few bits of over-priced optics?' 'It's not me, nan, it's globalisation' I replied. 'You've been outsourced. And I want fancy bins just like them Austrian birder johnnies have.' One long, sad sigh, and Nan replied: 'I've always reckoned you birders were a bunch of sad, geeky anoraks. I should have drowned you at birth, you and your f......king binoculars'. So I set the dogs on her. Have to stitch the f....ing things myself now.

Sancho said:
I had the same strap problem, and was going to send for my valet to get him to put in a few stitches. Then I remembered I'd fired him. Couldn't afford his salary after buying two pairs of Swaro bins and a Swaro scope. Butler had to go too. But what really, really hurt was giving old nanny her marching orders. Poor old nan. So many years of faithful service. Relying on me to care for her in her old age. She looked at me with her sad, rheumy old eyes and said 'Do I really mean less to you than a few bits of over-priced optics?' 'It's not me, nan, it's globalisation' I replied. 'You've been outsourced. And I want fancy bins just like them Austrian birder johnnies have.' One long, sad sigh, and Nan replied: 'I've always reckoned you birders were a bunch of sad, geeky anoraks. I should have drowned you at birth, you and your f......king binoculars'. So I set the dogs on her. Have to stitch the f....ing things myself now.
Hope Nanny didn't require any stitches after the dogs had finished with her :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back