• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (29 Viewers)

Am Wig showing well on Anglers CP this afternoon - pics on my blog in a bit.
Dipped the RB Gull at Mirfield again. Anybody got any info on this bird - this is the third time I have dipped! I tried the weir (drake Mandarin!) and the pits. No sign.
Cheers
Jono

Am Wig showing well on Anglers CP this afternoon - pics on my blog in a bit.
Dipped the RB Gull at Mirfield again. Anybody got any info on this bird - this is the third time I have dipped! I tried the weir (drake Mandarin!) and the pits. No sign.
Cheers
Jono

If it's the same bird as last winter, the gull is best seen early doors when it comes in for a wash etc before disappearing for the day. It sometimes used to return in the afternoon but not always.

Cheers Keith - does it wash at the pits or the weir?
Cheers,
Jono

It mostly used the right hand end of the island on the far side when viewing from the gate. When the weather got worse and the pond froze over it would use the weir. Initially reported this winter on the other pool, probably scared off the main pool by the anglers. I'm local so will probably have a look in the morning and report back.

It mostly used the right hand end of the island on the far side when viewing from the gate. When the weather got worse and the pond froze over it would use the weir. Initially reported this winter on the other pool, probably scared off the main pool by the anglers. I'm local so will probably have a look in the morning and report back.

Do you use the local shop for local people?;)

Cool thanks James.
Am Wig attached.

Attachments

• amwig_anglers_041211.JPG
    amwig_anglers_041211.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 105
ldv

maybe boring to some, but its the first i have seen this year!they must be really finding it tough out there.:t:

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 156
Did you digiscope that? Was sat for over an hour waiting for it to get within camera range but it started to drift off and I had to go. Think I'll have to try get it on the reservoir midweek over Christmas.

Smart bird, last one I saw was at Wheldrake and about half a mile away - no more than a dot and if you hadn't known one was there you really would be brave to pick it.

I'm trying to drum up a 4 man Leeds Team for the Michael Clegg Memorial Bird Race. Sunday Jan 8th, a day's birding in the Leeds area has to be finished and scores rung in by 7.00pm.
Team members and thoughts on venue welcome.

Lovely pic! Was it showing on Wintersett or Anglers? Might pop up in the morning.

Cheers, Sam

Handheld digiscoped on Anglers CP - lucky shot really compared to my usual standards!

18 White-fronts with Greylags near Elvington this morning (pics on blog later), plus 14 Whoopers south over. Nearby, Peregrine at Wheldrake Ings YWT, which is still dry - when will it rain?! Castle Howard held one Brambling, 3 Little Grebes and c20 Goldeneyes.
Cheers
Jono

Desert Wheatear still at Bempton RSPB today, a House Martin also flew in close west past Staple Newk viewpoint as we where watching the Wheatear on the cliff stack below the viewpoint

DesertWheatear002edited.jpg

Nipped down to Sands Lane this morning at 09:30, no sign of RBG though maggot drowning was well underway by then. Goldeneye , two common gulls and a dozen BHG's. Will keep an eye on the place.

I'm trying to drum up a 4 man Leeds Team for the Michael Clegg Memorial Bird Race. Sunday Jan 8th, a day's birding in the Leeds area has to be finished and scores rung in by 7.00pm.

Keith, it will be good to get a few more teams involved, all proceeds go to a good cause and its a great way to start the new year. There isn't usually any teams involved from Leeds and it would be good to get team from other good birding areas.
If you need the forms etc just let me know and I can forward them onto you and put you onto the days organiser Graham Speight.
Other glaringly obvious areas with no teams are Doncaster and north-west Yorkshire!
Andy Roadhouse

Nipped down to Sands Lane this morning at 09:30, no sign of RBG though maggot drowning was well underway by then. Goldeneye , two common gulls and a dozen BHG's. Will keep an eye on the place.

Any more reports? Im hoping to go over possibly Friday if its turned up again.

Glad I decided to take today off work. Headed over to Wintersett/Anglers on my bicycle and stumbled across a Great Grey Shrike - fantastic! The bird was by the boathouse but having been spooked by some great tits it disappeared. Thankfully (for the others who came looking) a local birder relocated it later and it did eventually fly back over to the boathouse before again flying off. The local birder I spoke with said it had been around 20 years since the last one in the area so I think we were all chuffed.

The American Wigeon and a Drake Smew were also on the Top Lake (Wintersett) so a pretty damn fine hattrick of birds in anyones book!!!

Lovely Kingfisher finished the day off nicely before heading home, even my aching body says the cycling was well worth it! :t:

Just bumping this up, we now have 2 of the 4 members. Anyone else brave/mad enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back