• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

unlikely species to be side by side! (1 Viewer)

Although I guess in areas of central Europe where both breed it's not so unprecedented? My best ever was Whinchat and White-rumped Sandpiper next to each other.

It is a well packed wire though!

I did once have the pleasure of using the only bird alongside to estimate the length of a Semi-P in a description I was taking. The comparison species was Citrine Wag!

Once found a McQueen's Bustard in Xinjiang in NW China because it was standing next to a Great Bustard that was big enough to be seen on a hazy grassland!

Andrew Whitehouse said:
Although I guess in areas of central Europe where both breed it's not so unprecedented?

More than likely across most of central and eastern Europe.

I always enjoy seeing Hobby and Merlin together as they are respectively summer and winter visitors here.

brianhstone said:
More than likely across most of central and eastern Europe.

Indeed, though Turtle Dove is not that common here, Fieldfare is an abundant breeder, so when you do find a Turtle Dove, there is good chance it will have Fieldfare nearby. On the local patch, one to two pairs of Turtle Dove breed, whilst Fieldfares total probably about ten to fifteen pairs. Other seemingly unlikely neighbours that I have breeding within sight of each other up here include Hoopoe and Whooper Swan, plus Golden Oriole and Corncrake.

On a slightly different level, the sight of 3 Clouded Yellow butterflies racing over a Long-billed Dowitcher struck me as fairly unique this autumn!

Years ago at Minsmere I saw the Great Yellowlegs and Black-winged Pratincole on the same bit of marsh - talk about East meeting West......

saw a bittern and a chiloe wigeon from the same hide on the same pool. it was at slimbridge though, but the wigeon flew off??

I managed Pink-footed Goose and Swift in my binoculars at same time at Titchwell RSPB on 3/9/2006. Didn't seem right at all.

Just remembered I had this pic from Mai Po in April 2004 - simillima Yellow Wagtail and Swinhoe's Egret (the best name for Chinese Egret) on the mud together from the Boardwalk Hide.

Not so unusual for most egrets to be close to wagtails , but Swinhoe's breeds on rocky offshore islands and Yellow wags in Hk are almost always found in freshwater habitat.

Attachments

• DSCN5398-BF.jpg
    DSCN5398-BF.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 133
So was a lone Greater Flamingo in between a group of African Penguins on a boulder-covered beach on an offshore Island at the Namibian coast...

OK, probably not that unusual there (given the fact that some flamingo suitable habitat was only a few kilometers away) but they gave quite a strange group picture...

A few of my favourites that spring to mind:

I have a photo of American Robin and (Eurasian) Robin in the same bush taken at Inverbervie on Boxing day 1988

American Golden Plover and Pacific Golden Plover in same scope view at Tetney, Lincs in '86

At Frimley back in the 80's, there was a Ferruginous Duck and a Ring-necked Duck around, I located the Fudge Duck and let my mate look through my scope, after a few seconds he said "where is it from the Ring-necked Duck?"

On Lundy in '87 the Veery hopped into a small gorse bush, a couple of seconds later out popped the Swainson's Thrush!

My favourite though involves the Scilly Short-toed Eagle, as it first flew from St Mary's to St Martin's I had a Monarch butterfly in the same field of view, shortly followed by a Harbour Porpoise!!

Don't you love birding in Britain B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back