• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's UK Birding Year 2020 (1 Viewer)

Lovely walk up Drummau with the children and the hound today. A few Reed Buntings, Wheatears, Skylarks, Blackcaps and Willow Warblers around. Also added a year tick.

157. Garden Warbler

Allowed to travel 5 miles now to meet family so added:

158. Reed Warbler

Being classed as a key worker I’ve also had to travel for work this week. Added another year tick in the process:

159. Sand Martin

Met up with my sister’s family, when we were allowed to do so, over a week ago. Parked by the 4th Gnoll Pond and walked up to Parsons Folly. A beautiful spot. Warblers, Swifts, Martins everywhere. Really good to catch up with a couple of Spotted Flycatchers as well. Not that easy to pick up locally.

160. Spotted Flycatcher

Then last weekend an NPT mega turned up. Just about on the 5 miles allowed I dived down to Jersey Marine. A phone call from Rob(an excellent local birder) gave spot on directions. Half a dozen already there keeping a pretty safe distance apart. When watching the feeders a local came over and asked what we were watching. A fantastic fella. The bird was visiting a feeder and the gent owned the house next door. Very generously he allowed us to sit in his back garden and wait.

After 20 minutes or so the bird duly turned up. A handsome male Common Rosefinch. Stunning views enjoyed by all.

161. Common Rosefinch Lifer #6 B :)B :)B :)

Wasn’t expecting a lifer during lockdown. Unfortunately Kev arrived too late for the bird. We then went for a wander around Pant y Sais Fen. I really struggle to hear Grasshopper Warblers now so Kev was excellent at pointing out where they were singing from.

162. Grasshopper Warbler

And also added:

163. Sedge Warbler

A pretty good day.

Attachments

• 12B817F7-31E3-42B1-AE14-150DA8A8A995.jpg
    12B817F7-31E3-42B1-AE14-150DA8A8A995.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 22
First day out of lockdown today so took a few hours flexi. Headed up to Dinas. A beautiful place. Birds a little trickier now they’ve finished nesting but with a little patience some did show well.

164. Marsh Tit
165. Pied Flycatcher
166. Common Redstart
167. Yellowhammer

Attachments

• AEBE27AB-0189-4805-9E43-142094FCB85A.jpg
    AEBE27AB-0189-4805-9E43-142094FCB85A.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 0DFC3CB1-C17F-4C57-8035-7BCF877DBE17.jpg
    0DFC3CB1-C17F-4C57-8035-7BCF877DBE17.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 13
  • 6DF41255-14F6-42C7-994F-FF29B48FE5B9.jpg
    6DF41255-14F6-42C7-994F-FF29B48FE5B9.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 14
Dipped on the Rose-coloured Starling at Burryport today. From the harbour though there were 10’s of Mediterranean Gulls and a Sandwich Tern.

169. Mediterranean Gull
170. Sandwich Tern.

Caught up with my 2 year old nephew down the mumbles this afternoon. Had a cracking pizza and added Kittiwake to the year list. Also a few Med Gulls around and some Grey Seals.

171. Kittiwake

Had a message on Friday from a very decent birder I’ve met out and about a few times. Acting on this tip I set off Saturday morning. After about 40 minutes of waiting I was treated to my best ever view of a Honey Buzzard. Happy days. Location withheld on this one for fairly obvious reasons.

173. Honey BuzzardB :)

Rich

Went over the dry side of the bridge yesterday with my youngest. Not too many birds tbh, but I guess given the heat and the time of the year that was to be expected.

Pretty certain we had a flyover Honey Buzzard when driving along the M5. Sun was directly in our eyes at Catcott so we quickly headed to Ham Wall. A few GWE’s, a couple of Marsh Harriers and a Hobby were the best we could manage. A very pleasant RSPB volunteer there as well. Great with my son.

174. Hobby

Over to RSPB Winterbourne. Heaps of butterflies around but we couldn’t pin down a Stone Curlew. They are there but the vegetation was much higher than last time we were there. Did add Corn Bunting to the year list.

175. Corn Bunting

The new car is a cracker. Nothing like as economical as the vRS but very comfortable to drive. Tend to adopt a much more relaxed pace.

Rich

Lovely morning with my youngest despite the weather today. Good to bump in to Bernie, Tom and Paul. Great birders. Had a bit of a Sandpiper fest.

179. Green Sandpiper
180! Wood Sandpiper
181. Common Sandpiper
182. Ruff

Lovely afternoon at Whiteford Point. The boy is finally losing his fear of water. Really enjoyed it in the sea with my other 2. Heaps of Stonechats around and a nice flock of Sanderling. Finally saw Gannet for my year list.

183. Gannet

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back