• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (2 Viewers)

Four separate Green Hairstreaks in the garden in Seething this morning, including two interacting males. I got a few snaps and will post once I have downloaded them. Very pleased to see this butterfly in the garden, which is one I have searched high and low for in previous years.

Broad-bordered Bee Hawkmoth this morning at Holt Country Park, on Campion around BFG (by Visitor Centre) and along North-South ride to E of car park.

Attachments

• 016pse.jpg
    016pse.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 122
Pics of Broad-bordered Bee Hawk Moth today in Holt Country Park car park. About 6 moths seen in the carpark and surrounding area.

Attachments

• bbbhm-2.jpg
    bbbhm-2.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 103
  • bbbhm.jpg
    bbbhm.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 76
Bee Bee Bee Hawkmoths still around the Campion at Holt CP.

The maximum count I've heard so far is 10.

Several Brimstones flitted about in the sun.

Attachments

• 438pse.jpg
    438pse.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 171pse.jpg
    171pse.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 65
Skippers!

Both Dingy and Grizzled on the wing in the west of the county today....

Attachments

• Grizzled best.jpg
    Grizzled best.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Dingy S.jpg
    Dingy S.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Brimstones.jpg
    Brimstones.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 77
A Swallowtail was seen by the boardwalk at Strumpshaw today, not by me unfortunately! There were huge numbers of very fresh looking Brimstones and Orange Tips there today, as well as a few Peacocks and extremely faded Small Tortoiseshells.

Ron

Went to Narborough Railway Line today, and was pleased to see several Dingy Skippers, and around half a dozen Green Hairstreaks. Plenty of Brimstones, Orange Tips, and Large/Small whites in flight as well, plus a solitary Small Copper (my first of the year). However, there were no Grizzled Skippers on view, and nobody who I saw today at the reserve could verify if they had seen any either. Bit worrying as weather wise, I thought it would have been ideal today.

I also came across what must have been a hornet or something of that ilk. Unfortunately, I'm not very clued up on the world of insects, but it was huge and didn't look your 'standard' wasp colour (more orange and black than yellow).

Last edited:
Swallowtails now out at Strumpshaw fen RSPB reserve, call in at the reception to find out where they have been seen each day.
As far as I know there are only a few individuals at the moment but given the warm weekend predicted there should hopefully be more emerging over the next few days

I also came across what must have been a hornet or something of that ilk. Unfortunately, I'm not very clued up on the world of insects, but it was huge and didn't look your 'standard' wasp colour (more orange and black than yellow).

Sounds like a hornet, I saw a few yesterday, they are pretty *unmistakable, huge orangey wasp with very audible wings.

*pretty unmistakable at this time of the year but there is are a couple of moths and a hoverfly that mimic them later in the year!

Sounds like a hornet, I saw a few yesterday, they are pretty *unmistakable, huge orangey wasp with very audible wings.

*pretty unmistakable at this time of the year but there is are a couple of moths and a hoverfly that mimic them later in the year!

Thanks Ben. It was probably the size of my little finger, but didn't manage to land so I could take a photo.

Back to butterflies, I'd be curious to know if anyone does manage to see any Grizzled Skippers near Narborough. It was very quiet on that front yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back