• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

Ssb

Ist June at Buxton Heath saw a single silver studded blue. Also saw a bright yellow butterfly, a powerful flyer that did not land and kept doing circuits. When it came close, it was bright yellow and white. Did not look like the brimstone. ? a clouded yellow? Any suggestions?

Another (very fresh) Painted Lady, today. This was in the Common Bird's-foot Trefoil to the SW of Gramboro’.

Another common name for this plant, I learn, is the slightly unpleasant 'Granny's Toenails' !

Several Small Tortoishells flew W, singly.

Attachments

• 094pse.jpg
    094pse.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 136pse.jpg
    136pse.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 61
Broadland Business Park, Strumpshaw Hill and Fen

There were plenty of recently emerged Six Spot Burnet Moths at Broadland Business Park and Strumpshaw Hill today. At Strumpshaw Hill, a fence and the surrounding vegetation were covered in their cocoons. Both sites are a riot of colour with Ox-Eye Daisies and Birds Foot Trefoil flowering in profusion as well as a couple of clumps of Bee Orchid.

Small Tortoiseshells were numerous everywhere today.

At Strumpshaw Hill, there were also 2 Cinnabar Moths, 1 Large Skipper and 1 Brown Argus.

At Strumpshaw Fen, there were a couple of Swallowtails, 2 Large Skipper and a large number of Peacock caterpillars feeding on nettles.

Also seen today at the above sites were Speckled Wood, Brimstone, Meadow Brown, Common Blue and Red Admiral.

Cheers

Steve

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !

In Holt CP today, at junction of red/blue and orange/blue trails.

An early (?) and fresh Fritillary was on the wall of the Centre.

Attachments

• 444pse.jpg
    444pse.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Holt_Country_Park_map.jpg
    Holt_Country_Park_map.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 58
  • 099pse.jpg
    099pse.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 61
Small Heaths, many small torts and a very washed out Painted Lady at Gun Hill, B.O.S. yesterday. Also cinnabar moth and a very active privet hawkmoth caterpillar across the footpath just south of the boardwalk.

Large Skipper and three Six-spot Burnets at Horsey on 7th. Meadow Brown, Painted Lady, Red Admiral and Large Skipper at Wiveton Downs on 8th (sorry for the delay). Painted Lady and two Red Admirals in Morningthorpe and good numbers of Small Tortoiseshells around Hempnall today. Finally a well marked Small Magpie was found resting in my front porch at home.

Rosary Cemetery in Norwich

On Monday, I fleetingly saw what was probably a Hummingbird Hawkmoth on the Red Valerian flowers along the Rosary Cemetery drive.

Today, another observer showed me a photo of a Hummingbird Hawkmoth they had taken in the same area which I had just missed minutes earlier.

However, I did see 1 Six Spot Burnet Moth and 1 Small Tortoiseshell on the same flowers as well as 1 Speckled Wood further on.

Cheers

Steve

Hummingbird Hawkmoth in our garden in Thetford yesterday, on Red Valerian.

Probably heading to Strumpshaw tomorrow, presumably some Swallowtails around. Any spot in particular worth looking at?

Thanks

Probably heading to Strumpshaw tomorrow, presumably some Swallowtails around. Any spot in particular worth looking at?
The garden at Marsh Cottage is usually a safe bet (ask at reception) although they are all over the reserve at the moment. They have been using the flower garden at the reception recently and have been seen in the overflow car park too. Good luck.

Ron

Hummingbird Hawkmoth in our garden in Thetford yesterday, on Red Valerian.

Thanks

Hi Dawn, I have just returned from a successful mission to see my first ever Swallowtails.
I was at Strumpshaw today from 2pm - 4pm. Be aware that reception was closed this afternoon.
I went to 'the Dr's garden' first, to be told I missed one by 10 seconds. Waited there for 25 mins, no sign. So I crossed the railway line just past the garden and walked the path through the fen for about 400metres until it did a sharp left turn with a bench & then I retraced my steps.
I saw 2 flying along the path midway between the rail crossing & the bench & a further 2 were seen by looking south across the reedtops with binoculars.
After returning to the Dr's garden I was told that one turned up soon after I left so I spent another 40 minutes in the garden but again had no luck there.
Also seen were several Brimstones & an early Clouded Yellow with plenty of singing Willow Warblers too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back