• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very Strange Purple Gallinule (1 Viewer)

birderbf

Wild, Wild West ................... ern Spindalis
I photographed a very unusual (American) Purple Gallinule in Florida last January, at the Wakodahatchee Wetlands near West Palm Beach.

I did not notice anything unusual about the bird until one or two months later back at home. In one photo the bird had its head facing toward me, when a mark was visible on its forehead shield. It looks exactly like a 3.

I gather that this is some sort of mark from an experiment, but I think it's odd that they would put such a mark there instead of the traditional leg band.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/birderbf/444019609/

Any ideas? This thread didn't make it so well in the Banding/Ringing section. :scribe:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back