• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski ATX85 vs Kowa 883+TE11WZ (1 Viewer)

aektame

I have been considered buying a scope but can't make the decision. Yes...I am hesitate between these two.

In Sydney, what I can find is:
Swaro ATX 85 at 4099AUD
Kowa 883 + TE11WZ at 4548AUD

As I studied, optical performances are very close, except the mobility of ATX seems the only advantage over 883. I will go for digiscoping as well.

Do you guys have suggestions?

Funny, the price differences there in Australia vs here. Here the atx is about 1000 more expensive than the 883, then it's a choice easily made :) As I read, but no personal experience, they are quite on par with some specimen variance in the 883 and indeed some better portability (weight/size) in the atx. Where you're at, I'd probably save the $500 for a birding holiday and be happy with the atx.

Funny, the price differences there in Australia vs here. Here the atx is about 1000 more expensive than the 883, then it's a choice easily made :) As I read, but no personal experience, they are quite on par with some specimen variance in the 883 and indeed some better portability (weight/size) in the atx. Where you're at, I'd probably save the $500 for a birding holiday and be happy with the atx.

Thanks Ries
If I buy the adapter and scope case for them, the price for both will end up at around 4950 AUD. (Kowa accessories are cheaper)

Swaro price here also amazes me because I had thought that Kowa price is a bit lower.

I recently purchased an ATX85 over the 883 mostly because I hate SOC`s, and the rubber armour on the ATX means I feel happy using it without a case. If I put them side by side I`d probably put the Kowa a fraction ahead optically, but out in the field that fraction is quickly forgotten IMHO. I also really like the ergonomics of the ATX, having the zoom/focus together is very fast and efficient.

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

Actually the ATX85 is a little bit heavier than the Kowa 883 with the wide angle zoom. But it's less than 100g, so can be safely ignored.

Since you seem to be in a position to try both scopes, I would recommend to try both and if you find an example that you like and that is nice and sharp at 60x (or even with the extender), to get exactly that example. Sample variation is unfortunately a thing.
The focus mechanism is also a major difference - some like Swaro style, some don't.

Joachim

I recently purchased an ATX85 over the 883 mostly because I hate SOC`s, and the rubber armour on the ATX means I feel happy using it without a case. If I put them side by side I`d probably put the Kowa a fraction ahead optically, but out in the field that fraction is quickly forgotten IMHO. I also really like the ergonomics of the ATX, having the zoom/focus together is very fast and efficient.

Thank s Torview,
At this moment, I think I will go for ATX. For focusing, it doesn't matter for me.:t:

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

Actually the ATX85 is a little bit heavier than the Kowa 883 with the wide angle zoom. But it's less than 100g, so can be safely ignored.

Since you seem to be in a position to try both scopes, I would recommend to try both and if you find an example that you like and that is nice and sharp at 60x (or even with the extender), to get exactly that example. Sample variation is unfortunately a thing.
The focus mechanism is also a major difference - some like Swaro style, some don't.

Joachim

Hi Joachim,
I have visited the forum for a while...as an observer. :eat:I'm fine with its weight, just use it for easy trekking or nature observation not hunting. Will post more after get the scope. ;)

I recently purchased an ATX85 over the 883 mostly because I hate SOC`s, and the rubber armour on the ATX means I feel happy using it without a case...

I also dislike SOCs and I have an 884. As with all my scopes, I wrapped it in McNett camo-form. That is a superb product but I wish it came in other (non-camo) colors. I use the snow camo, then hand color the mostly white material as desired. Anyone know if there is a competing brand that offers better colors?

--AP

I am considering the same KOWA combination. If you buy it tax free in Japan from the giant BIC CAMERA chain the cost is AU$3391!

Maybe go to Japan for birding and buy the scope then?!

Cheers
Mike

I also dislike SOCs and I have an 884. As with all my scopes, I wrapped it in McNett camo-form. That is a superb product but I wish it came in other (non-camo) colors. I use the snow camo, then hand color the mostly white material as desired. Anyone know if there is a competing brand that offers better colors?

--AP

I use McNett too. Here's the home page for it that shows the varieties.

https://www.gearaid.com/products/camouflage-gun-wrap-camo-form?variant=18469277401185

I am considering the same KOWA combination. If you buy it tax free in Japan from the giant BIC CAMERA chain the cost is AU$3391!

Maybe go to Japan for birding and buy the scope then?!

Cheers
Mike

This is interesting but unfortunately I don't have a plan to go to Japan. I can't wait any longer. Cheers

It's a hard choice. Both are good scopes. To me it mostly comes down to handling and how the eye pice fits your eye socket. You really need to try them to know.

I would lean to the ATX considering it's cheaper and that I prefer the focus and zoom controls on the Swaro.

This is interesting but unfortunately I don't have a plan to go to Japan. I can't wait any longer. Cheers

We were undecided about which of these two we wanted and tried the two, separately and - together when In Focus obtained a second model so we could try them side by side. n the day, we plumped for the KIowa and don't regret it one bit. Each time I use it I have to stop myself from saying "Wow!" But no doubt the Swaro is the same .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back