• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great White death, USA (1 Viewer)

There seem to have been a lot of fatalities this year in Australia but is this the most Northerly fatality?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53572785

I guarantee there have been more man-caused fatalities to Great Whites this year, let alone sharks in general. If you don't want to get bitten, don't go in the water: don't blame the shark and especially don't expect retribution, which is entirely inappropriate both emotionally and conservationally.

John

Yeah, agree John, thousands of people die every year from snake bites but no one suggests killing all the snakes hey. Don't go swimming in shark infested waters.

In fairness this isn’t an area known for dangerous sharks....

I hate snakes so would be more than happy for some short toed eagles to be released!

In fairness this isn’t an area known for dangerous sharks....

Indeed. As the article notes it is the first recorded great white attack ever for the entire state of Maine, and only the second recorded shark attack.

What is happening, both in Maine and Massachusetts, is that with federal protection of marine mammals that went into effect in 1972, seal populations have rebounded strongly. So areas from which great white sharks were previously absent, are now attracting them for the first time in recent memory.

Last edited:
What about Great White Shark deaths caused by humans? Far more of those than the reverse, now an endangered species I gather :-C

Indeed. As the article notes it is the first recorded great white attack ever for the entire state of Maine, and only the second recorded shark attack.

What is happening, both in Maine and Massachusetts, is that with federal protection of marine mammals that went into effect in 1972, seal populations have rebounded strongly. So areas from which great white sharks were previously absent, are now attracting them for the first time in recent memory.

It occurs to me occasionally to wonder whether Great Whites visit some of our bigger seal colonies (e.g. the 10,000 Greys that breed on the Monach Islands in the Hebs): of course the chance of them encountering a human swimmer there at that time of year is vanishingly small, but I'd be surprised if the sharks aren't exploiting that seal resource.

John

Perspective needed. One death is sad, and I feel for her and her family, but it's hardly an issue worthy of international news coverage or political action.

Snakebite took the lives of up to 400,000 victims between 2014 and 2016, making it almost 40 times deadlier than the Ebola virus.

Perspective needed. One death is sad, and I feel for her and her family, but it's hardly an issue worthy of international news coverage or political action.

Snakebite took the lives of up to 400,000 victims between 2014 and 2016, making it almost 40 times deadlier than the Ebola virus.

And still the human population increases, making it deadlier to wildlife than ever wildlife is to it.....

John

It occurs to me occasionally to wonder whether Great Whites visit some of our bigger seal colonies (e.g. the 10,000 Greys that breed on the Monach Islands in the Hebs): of course the chance of them encountering a human swimmer there at that time of year is vanishingly small, but I'd be surprised if the sharks aren't exploiting that seal resource.

John
Too cold for Great White Shark there? Other sharks like Greenland Shark might though, and Orcas of course.

Too cold for Great White Shark there? Other sharks like Greenland Shark might though, and Orcas of course.

I doubt very much if it is too cold for Great Whites there: the Gulf Stream curls round the top of Scotland and in any case they have no difficulty with the cold waters around the South-western tip of Africa where they take fur seals (and occasionally surfers ;)) They are known to be able to thermo-regulate to a greater extent than most fish.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back