• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pomarine or Arctic Skua? (1 Viewer)

Shumi

Ukraine
Hi All, could you pls have a look and let me know whether this is a Pomarine Skua?

If indeed Pomarine, this would be the ever first photo record for the whole of Ukraine - normally we only encounter Arctic Skuas on migration. Given this fact, we would welcome a confirmation from the experienced community.

Pictures were taken on Dzharylhach island in Southern Ukraine in July 2020.

Thanks,

Alexander

Attachments

• photos_photoresize (3).jpg
    photos_photoresize (3).jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 302
  • photos_photoresize (4).jpg
    photos_photoresize (4).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 179
  • photos_photoresize (1).jpg
    photos_photoresize (1).jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 227
  • photos_photoresize (5).jpg
    photos_photoresize (5).jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 189
  • photos_photoresize.jpg
    photos_photoresize.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 198
Well without getting too analytical, looks very broad winged and barrel chested to me. So without carefully checking plumage I'd say pom

Yes, a Caspian Tern :t:

The skua looks good for Pom for me too.

Given gravity of record, I guess great if you can be analytical as to why it's a pom. I'll step in if no one else volunteers (and yes, I factored in that it's a Caspian tern in my original reply)

Given gravity of record, I guess great if you can be analytical as to why it's a pom. I'll step in if no one else volunteers (and yes, I factored in that it's a Caspian tern in my original reply)
Pom Skuas are heavier, so more affected by gravity 8-P

One of those ones where one [thinks one] knows it's a Pom, but explaining why is another thing altogether! So yes, please do step in 3:)

Please let us know if your country's rarities committee (assuming you have one) accepts this record (even if it's a few months down the road).

MacNara - there is no officially established rarities committee in Ukraine. So it mostly comes down to the combined opinion of respected ornithologists and birders - which would then be reflected in the actual classification in the bird checklist on uabirds.org website.

I do not think there is a final conclusion reached yet, but in all likelihood this will be recognized as a Pomarine Skua.

MacNara - there is no officially established rarities committee in Ukraine. So it mostly comes down to the combined opinion of respected ornithologists and birders - which would then be reflected in the actual classification in the bird checklist on uabirds.org website.

I do not think there is a final conclusion reached yet, but in all likelihood this will be recognized as a Pomarine Skua.

Well, I wish you luck. It must be an incredible feeling to find a new bird in a country as large as Ukraine (although possibly negative, as it might be connected to global warming, which isn't going to be good for the variety of birds we find).

My local claim to fame relies on taking pictures twelve years ago of a bird that no-one else had (or has since) seen in my prefecture/county in Japan and then five minutes later running into the head of our local Birding Association (so there was no dispute about the finding).

[The bird was Rough-legged Buzzard in Nara. In those days, we had winter and snow, so this bird was at least possible. The average for 'winter days' (minimum temperature under 0ºC) is 52, but last year was six, and this year is one (-0.2ºC). ]

Well, I wish you luck. It must be an incredible feeling to find a new bird in a country as large as Ukraine (although possibly negative, as it might be connected to global warming, which isn't going to be good for the variety of birds we find).

My local claim to fame relies on taking pictures twelve years ago of a bird that no-one else had (or has since) seen in my prefecture/county in Japan and then five minutes later running into the head of our local Birding Association (so there was no dispute about the finding).

[The bird was Rough-legged Buzzard in Nara. In those days, we had winter and snow, so this bird was at least possible. The average for 'winter days' (minimum temperature under 0ºC) is 52, but last year was six, and this year is one (-0.2ºC). ]

Thanks! Actually, it was not me who saw and photographed that bird, I am just assisting the community here - to try and gain certainty re the ID. But still happy that a new bird has in all likelihood been added to the list of birds photographed in Ukraine.

Great job with the rough-legged hawk in Japan!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back