• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OS X Lion (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
Has anyone installed OS X Lion yet? I am wondering whether to put it on my iMac but Snow Leopard is running beautifully and I don't want to introduce any problems from the new software. My main concern is whether my existing third-party applications such as Adobe CS4 and Pixelmator will run all right, as I don't wish to upgrade them.

I had a look at the new features of the software on the Apple site and, to be honest, there is not too much there which I need or want. One of the main features seems to be the use of gestures for navigation but I assume I would need to buy a trackpad to use them on my iMac.

The only reason for upgrading to the latest software is that it is only available from the App Store and this can only be done if Snow Leopard is installed and running. If this becomes standard Apple practice then in the future it will not be possible, or easy, to skip a version before upgrading.

I will probably wait a week or two to see how other people are getting on with it and what issues they are encountering.

Ron

Last edited:
Personally I'd wait. Watch the apple discussion boards and see what 'issues' are arising.

I skipped leopard from tiger to snow leopard (anyone still with me?) so it can be done. All the blurb said it couldn't and but to buy the full, not update version and to make a full back-up before installation. It worked an absolute treat for me with the update version at a fraction of the cost!

I'm running an Intel Core Duo iMac, does anyone know if lion will work as the spec says it needs Intel 2 Core Duo to run.

I skipped leopard from tiger to snow leopard (anyone still with me?) so it can be done. All the blurb said it couldn't and but to buy the full, not update version and to make a full back-up before installation. It worked an absolute treat for me with the update version at a fraction of the cost!
As I understand it, the problem is that you need to have App Store installed to download Lion and App Store is only included with Snow Leopard. Our Mac Mini at work is running Leopard, so we couldn't update the software on that without purchasing Snow Leopard first.

Ron

Last edited:
Ron, you should be able to google mac app store and find a download for it.

It's not that easy.

The Mac App Store is available as a free software update for Mac computers running Mac OS X v10.6 or later. If you have an earlier version of Mac OS X, you will need to upgrade to Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
http://www.apple.com/mac/app-store/
Yes, that seems to be confirmed by what I have read. You need to have the App Store application running under Snow Leopard to be able to download it. I have also heard that it is getting hard to purchase Snow Leopard now as Apple Stores were asked to return their unsold copies of the software and it seems to be hard to find a legitimate download of it.

I don't know if Lion will eventually be available to purchase on disk or a USB stick.

Ron

Last edited:
Hello,

I am waiting. I have read of problems with older software, like MS Office for Mac, and my computer, a 2007 MacBook, probably would not support "air drop," although I think that the Magic Mouse would support all the fancy gestures.
I still have not figured out how to install Lion on both of my computers for the one price.

Waiting a month for a revised version, or in my case waiting to replace the computer may be wise.

Happy computing,
Arthur :hi:

Yes, that seems to be confirmed by what I have read. You need to have the App Store application running under Snow Leopard to be able to download it. I have also heard that it is getting hard to purchase Snow Leopard now as Apple Stores were asked to return their unsold copies of the software and it seems to be hard to find a legitimate download of it.

I don't know if Lion will eventually be available to purchase on disk or a USB stick.

Ron

Amazon still had some 10.6.x discs the last time I checked. I really do hope Apple sells 10.7 on disk, my internet connection is too slow to download Lion.

I still have not figured out how to install Lion on both of my computers for the one price.
How to Install Mac OS X Lion Using Target Disk Mode

Look at the following for compatibility of software with Lion.
http://roaringapps.com/
Thanks for that - very helpful. It seems that there are no problems with Creative Suite apart from Photoshop, which is the application which I use the most at home. I will probably wait a few weeks to see if the issues are sorted out.

The other problem is that the download is about 3.5GB and my monthly limit is 10GB, so I will probably wait for the USB version.

Ron

Has anyone installed OS X Lion yet?

My son has installed it on his Mac lappytoppyola. He seems to think it is wonderful, but then he is likely to use most of its features. He thinks I should install it on my iMac but I shall wait and see. Like you, I find Snow Leopard is just dandy atm.

The only reason for upgrading to the latest software is that it is only available from the App Store and this can only be done if Snow Leopard is installed and running. If this becomes standard Apple practice then in the future it will not be possible, or easy, to skip a version before upgrading.

Linky.

It is the first time that the company has not issued new system software on disk.

Users without an internet connection, or whose link is too slow, will be given the option to download the file in an Apple store later this month.

For customers who want a physical copy, Apple is offering a memory stick version for an extra £25.

Something worth noting is

...the 4GB file may lead some users to exceed their download limit if their home broadband has a low cap.

My son has installed it on his Mac lappytoppyola. He seems to think it is wonderful, but then he is likely to use most of its features. He thinks I should install it on my iMac but I shall wait and see. Like you, I find Snow Leopard is just dandy atm.

Linky.

It is the first time that the company has not issued new system software on disk.

Users without an internet connection, or whose link is too slow, will be given the option to download the file in an Apple store later this month.

For customers who want a physical copy, Apple is offering a memory stick version for an extra £25.

Something worth noting is

...the 4GB file may lead some users to exceed their download limit if their home broadband has a low cap.

I downloaded from the App Store this morning - 3 hrs 5 min download time (3.74GB). I created a bootable USB stick with the installer and a DVD install disk and a bootable SD card before installing from the download. Smooth as silk. No problems with Nikon NX2.2.7, Colour EfexPro3, ViewNX2.2.1 and Photomatix Pro.
iMac 27" Quad Core i7 16GB RAM
:t::t:

Last edited:
I bought mine on Wednesday. Two hour download, and very smooth install. Easily the most painless OS installation I've ever had. I made a bootable USB stick from the installer, and used that to painlessly upgrade my other Macs. I love it - especially Mission Control and Full screen apps. But then I am very keen on trackpads.

BTW, the new scrolling behaviour becomes automatic in minutes. After it goes, it seems the most logical thing in the world. You move your fingers up, and the window scrolls up - what could be more natural?

Alan

How does the licience work with the single download and installing it on multiple devices?

I bought mine on Wednesday. Two hour download, and very smooth install. Easily the most painless OS installation I've ever had. I made a bootable USB stick from the installer, and used that to painlessly upgrade my other Macs. I love it - especially Mission Control and Full screen apps. But then I am very keen on trackpads.

BTW, the new scrolling behaviour becomes automatic in minutes. After it goes, it seems the most logical thing in the world. You move your fingers up, and the window scrolls up - what could be more natural?

Alan

Alan: First thing I did was disable that. I don't have any touch-screen devices like an iPad or iPhone - so I don't need.

How does the licience work with the single download and installing it on multiple devices?

Steve: Purchase of Lion is tied to one's Apple ID account and can be installed on up to 5 machines, I think. You must have to enter your Apple ID with each installation.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back