• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I always regret selling my.......? (1 Viewer)

paddy7

I was recently searching for a thread from sometime earlier this year and noticed in the process of discussions how often the expression 'i always regret getting rid of my [INSERT HERE]' came up.
The sale was often in response to a new, improved model and the desire to acquire it, only to find the itch was not scratched sufficiently.
There seemed to be a lot of regrets over selling something that now was no longer available - particularly models like the FL7x42 and similar.
Personally, i don't have many binoculars and rarely get rid of any, but it would be interesting to see if there is some kind of theme to these regrets amongst the BF binocular crew.
So - anything you got rid of, only to spend the ensuing years tearfully staring at a photo of a younger you, smiling, out in the field with them?

Hi Paddy, both of my Nikon 8x32 SE`s, I still don`t know what I was thinking, I may have "better" but they still remain my all time favourite.

I only have one pair of binoculars and those hand-me-down, inherited ones my father had.

But I know the "I hate I got rid of ....." feeling well. For me it is two different cars I've had.

The first was a 1955 Ford Crown Victoria. Red and white exterior and interior, factory installed spotlights on each side and a factory installed continental kit. Sold it to buy a brand new 1967, candy apple red, Ford Mustang. Guess what the second car I hate I got rid of was? You're right...that Mustang.

Did I say I was a dumb axx kid back then? Only thing changed is the age, some would say!

Hi TV - yup, i'd noticed SEs featuring heavily in the regrets list too. You're obviously not alone in that one.
As for cars - i haven't sold many; i always tend to be the last owner, one way or another.....

I’m with Barney - still got both my bins (only been birding 3 years). But regret selling my T25 VW!!

I don't regret selling any of my binoculars because the new alphas are so much improved and optically better they leave the older binoculars in the dust.

Hope there was a positive outcome for the human race....sorry for your loss, but 'the good of the many outweigh the good of the few....'

On the bins front though - the two sets i'd thought of (as the inspiration for asking the question) was exactly the 7x42FL and Nikon SE.
Of course, the withdrawal of a model from a range can't be anticipated, and thus the inability (or at least difficulty) in replacing when you realise it was a mistake must be very frustrating.

No true regrets at this point, but I do miss a couple.
I miss my Ultravid HD+ and my old Olympus cheapie plastic reverse porro 7x21;paid about 35 bucks when I bought it new. I had good reasons for getting rid of both.
The little Olympus had like 11mm of eye relief and I just started wearing glasses so it was unusable.
The Ultravid 42mm became too heavy for me over time. This weekend my neck and shoulders are a little sore from lots of birding and I was using my 8x30 which is just under 17 ounces. I can't imagine now adding an extra 10-11 ounces.
I did have some regrets selling my tan Swarovski CL 8x30 several years ago, but I acquired another one (same color) a year and a half ago. It has a smoother focus than the previous one.

On the bins front though - the two sets i'd thought of (as the inspiration for asking the question) was exactly the 7x42FL and Nikon SE.
Of course, the withdrawal of a model from a range can't be anticipated, and thus the inability (or at least difficulty) in replacing when you realise it was a mistake must be very frustrating.
You can find the Zeiss 7x42 FL and Nikon SE 8x32 for sale from time to time. They aren't as rare as you think. I think the fact that you can't just go buy a pair off the shelf makes you desire them more. It is kind of like the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence or a girl you used to date. Your memories are better than reality. If you did find the Zeiss 7x42 FL or Nikon 8x32 SE you would probably find they are not up to the latest alphas and be disappointed. I have been there done that.

Hello,

I regretted selling my 8x30 Nikon EII, when I got my Zeiss 8x32 FL. The Zeiss is a better glass but with a narrower FOV. I read that the new Zeiss SF 8x32 matched the EII's FOV.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Not sold any optics, but do regret not looking after them properly in the past. (And almost all of my cars have gone to the great scrapyard in the sky too.)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back