• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small red, black, and white snake. (1 Viewer)

Jacamar

This snake was in my yard this morning. Could someone tell me what it is?

Attachments

• snake 001 (Small).jpg
    snake 001 (Small).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,355
Charles Harper said:
'Red touch yellow, kill a fellow-- red touch black, friend of Jack'. Not a coral snake, anyway-- a harmless milk snake of some species.

Please be aware that this only holds true in the USA. From Mexico southward red to black can land you in a wooden box!

As for the snake, it looks to me like one of the Lampropeltis zonata subspecies (mountain kingsnakes) but it's very hard to tell from a small image. A geographic location of where it was taken should resolve the matter.

Regards, Lee.

Actually, just seen that you live in Guyana! This is therefore one of three things...

A Lampropeltis trianglum (Milksnake, as mentioned above)
A Pliocercus .sp (Rear fanged but unpleasent more than dangerous)
A tropical coral snake, Micrurus,(Extremely dangerous, though generally not considered even remotely aggressive, i.e. don't pick it up and you'll be fine)

The head shape makes me supicious that it may well be the latter. If you have a picture where you can see the head more closely that will help a lot (if you have a picture of the head where you can see the scles on the side of the head I can be 100%).

Cheers, Lee.

Thanks, Lee-- my herpetology is a little rusty, and that mnemonic was all that came to mind when viewing the photo. Hope you didn't run right out and pick the critter up, Chris. . . Chris?. . . .

This is NOT a coral snake, since it was found in the US, so "Red on Black, you're OK Jack. Red on Yellow, kills a fellow" works here.
I checked out the head, also checked all the pics on this site (http://www.applegatereptiles.com/index.html) and it does look like a Milk Snake to me (Lampropeltis triangulum spp.). I'm 100% sure of that, I just don't know WHAT kind of Milk Snake (looks a bit like a Pueblan Milk Snake (Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli)?, but I'm not that sure about that because all of them can be very varied in colouring...).

MlZad said:
This is NOT a coral snake, since it was found in the US, so "Red on Black, you're OK Jack. Red on Yellow, kills a fellow" works here.
I checked out the head, also checked all the pics on this site (http://www.applegatereptiles.com/index.html) and it does look like a Milk Snake to me (Lampropeltis triangulum spp.). I'm 100% sure of that, I just don't know WHAT kind of Milk Snake (looks a bit like a Pueblan Milk Snake (Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli)?, but I'm not that sure about that because all of them can be very varied in colouring...).

The picture was taken in Guyana. The poster Jacamar lived there for a few years I think.

erm... didn't he say that the snake was in his yard that morning... scratch that...
I'm sorry, I didn't look at the post date, I thought it was a recent one...
My mistake. Sorry.

Then it probably IS a coral snake, meaning that it's bite would be very very dangerous, but if they are left alone, like other snakes, they'll just get out of your way, if they can...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back