• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today at the feeder (1 Viewer)

Yesterday, I had my highest count yet of pine grosbeaks. I counted 40 all at once on the front lawn in the morning eating the seed I had scattered on top of the snow for them. It was wonderful!
Combined with this, I had evening grosbeaks, chickadees, rb nuthatches, gray jays and a blue jay. It was lovely.

Happy Holidays!

Thanks, Jason, that's exactly what I meant. The crazy thing is that I am always looking for this bird, but never seeing one near the house. Little did I know they were drilling right outside my bedroom window.

Jeff,
How did you make out in the quake? Good to hear about your flicker. They are so colorful. Mine never comes to the feeder.

BirdKing, my wife and I changed planes at Salt Lake City a couple of years ago, but we were not able to do any birding. (On our way to Washington State). We would like to bird some in Utah but have not gotten around to it yet. I have read about some good birding sites out there. We will eagerly await more reports of the birds that you observe in your area.

Chris, I would really like to see one of those Long-tailed Tits. I don't think chances are too good though when we are in London for one day on February 11th. We have about a twelve hour layover on our way to Kenya, East Africa. We are going to try to bird a few places in the London area.

Celeste, we have had Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers come into our yard here in Saint Joseph a couple of times over the years. In our yard they seem to prefer the Black Walnut trees to drill their rows of holes in. They winter in southern Missouri, but we only get them in migration. I am a little suprised that they have time to drill all those holes, when they are really just "passing through".

Hi if you are in London for only 12 hours try the london wetlands center
www.wwt.org.uk/visit/wetlandcentre/default.asp
should give you a good selection of birds from the common garden birds like robin, bluetit etc Green woodpecker is also reliable there in the spring and you could get cetti's Warbler as well then there is a good chance of smew ,Bittern Goldeneye that sort of thing I think with only 12 hours this is your best chance to maximize what you see..hope you have a good trip
Denis

Larry,
These yellow-bellied sapsuckers are not passing through. I discovered several years back that I had a few that wintered here. I would see one or two in the same stand of pine trees in my neighbors yard. For a few winters I hadn't seen any, but last winter I started to hear one "mewing", but no show. These trees in my yard are very tall, spindly pines with lots of rows of drilling holes that I never noticed. I think I am ready for a book, exclusively on woodpeckers!

Happy birding all.

Get your letter to Santa QUICK Celelste! If you get a good wp book - share the title. Blessings to all for a good holiday! Hopefully off to see 4 of 5 grandkids!!
Currently all are ill - waiting to see when safe to go!

I really did not know where to post this, but here goes. I typed a post concerning woodpeckers and wanted to include a photo of a "yellow-shafted" Northern Flicker. I got a message that I had used my allotted space for attachments and I needed to delete some of the attachments. I did not think I had that many. If I delete some attachments as I did for the "red-necked stint" on a different thread, the thread loses its continuity.

My question is, "Is one supposed to go back periodically and delete attachments from old threads?"

Sorry for breaking in here, but I did not know where to post!

Saint Joseph, Missouri, USA, Feeder Birds

After birding my local patch from 8 AM until 12:30 PM I returned home to Saint Joseph, Missouri. My feeders were "alive" with birds. The list of birds seen were:

American Goldfinch - 12
House Finch - 10
Black-capped Chickadee - 1
PINE SISKIN - 1 (first one I have seen this year - none last year)
Dark-eyed Junco (slate-colored) - 5
Northern Flicker (yellow-shafted) - 1 female
Red-bellied Woodpecker -1 male
House Sparrow - 15
Mourning Dove - 1
Downy Woodpecker - 1
European Starling - 130 (in trees around our yard)
American Crow - 2 (heard from our yard)
American Robin - 1 in tree in the yard

Last edited:
I've got a white throated sparrow hanging out, and using my feeders/birdbath out here. Kind of a rare bird for the west coast. Lucky to have one in my backyard with all the house sparrows, house finches, goldfinches, yellow-rumped warblers, allens and annas huumers, scrub jays, crows to name a few. Rained all day here yesterday. Beautiful day today....too bad I am working!

Yesterday a couple of wrens got stuck on my front porch - couldn't find the exit and kept flying into the screen. Finally they found their way out but first I took a couple of pictures. They are not the best pictures - low light etc. But here they are.

Attachments

• porch_wren2.jpg
    porch_wren2.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 272
  • porch_wren.jpg
    porch_wren.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 242
Nice, Diane. They look like Carolina Wrens to me. Would that be right? Must be just about at the northern edge of their range if so.

Jason

Today I'm watching one tiny little common redpoll hanging out with the pine grosbeaks. I spotted him yesterday all alone... don't know why there are so few this year.

Oh, Diane, your little wrens look just like mine! Ha! I really think Carolina wrens might be my personal favorite....well, that is until the next perky little warbler happens by or a house wren.....or .......!

I don't know what it is about Carolinas, though....I think they are just the neatest little birds...always so perky and chatty.

The ones at my house frequently fly into the garage when I have the door up....they seem to want to hang around in there, but I am not o.k. with leaving the door up for them all the time! They do, however, find their way out pretty easily.....but just seem to have an affinity for 'rooms' with open entries!

Tammie said:
Today I'm watching one tiny little common redpoll hanging out with the pine grosbeaks. I spotted him yesterday all alone... don't know why there are so few this year.
I've had a single C. Redpoll hanging out with the A. Goldfinches. I have seen several large flocks when I've been out birding, including one flock of easily 200 on the East Point CBC. There was a single Hoary mixed in with them.
Late yesterday and again this morning I've got a small flock of C. Redpolls coming to the feeders. About 6 I think, but they are very jumpy, flying at the first hint of movement near a window. Hopefully they'll settle down and stay around.

Sorry, I didn't respond yesterday but I was at work and didn't remember my password.

Yes, they are Carolina wrens but I do think they have a more Northerly range than Cape May. I think New York and Southern New England? I'm at least 150 miles south of New York City.

Bluetail said:
Nice, Diane. They look like Carolina Wrens to me. Would that be right? Must be just about at the northern edge of their range if so.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back