• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today at the feeder (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

Have not posted in a long time.
My Coopers Hawks are back in full force this winter reigning terror on a daily basis to all my back yard birds. Poor Junco was a victim yesterday. For three years, I've been waiting to see a Starling caught but I'm still waiting. Why are the most annoying birds always escaping. Mostly, it's doves that I see killed.

I got a new product this winter. Tetra Pond Bird island. It's suppose to keep a hole in the ice for the fish and allow the birds to bath in the water above it. However, it not working as advertised. The water tends to stay below the holes in the island so the birds can't get to the water. Too bad because the concept was a great idea. I called them on it hopefully they'll make some adjustments so future versions will work better.

Lots of Blue Jays, House Finches, Song and White Throated Sparrows, Goldfinches, Cardinals and occasional titmouse and no chickadees. I don't know why it's so difficult to get them in my yard. Had the same problem last winter too.

Anyway, I'm really loving the four seasons here in NJ. I don't mind the cold since it's only for a few months. With snow and everything it sure makes life more interesting!

Stay warm by the fireplace makes for a great night.

Happy birding,

Jeff
Freehold, NJ

Celeste - I posted on another thread that I saw turkey vultures this weekend - well north of the Ohio River. They traditionally come back to Hinckley , OH (north) on March 15th. I've never seen them back this early - Spring soon? But with a forecast of snow/sleet/freezing rain due in today - I doubt it but then again Mon. is forecast for 51degrees!! No wonder my arthritis is giving me fits!! Also saw 3 large white birds (my husband termed "cranes") flying over a frozen pond. My thought at the time was "swans" and now that I've had time to check the birdbook - I'm certain they were
mute swans!! supposedly rare in this area! Wish I'd made him stop for photos !

Most of my turkey vultures fly out in the winter, but I still have a few locals. Never have I seen a black vulture here in winter. I hardly see one in summer. Cool sighting, but eerie. Post your shots of the mute swans and I'll post the black vultures.
Hoping to post a grosbeak sighting for Larry....have a good trip!

Hi everyone! Lots of birds around today. Cardinals, downys, juncos, r.b.woodpecker, b.jays, m.doves, h.finches, chickadees, h.sparrows, american tree sparrows, and lots of those darn starlings. I also saw a brown creeper on my sycamore tree, first time i've seen one.

I love to catch a glimpse of a brown creeper....every so often, there one is! Wonder where they go in between those infrequent sightings? I was able to count one on my last PWF count last weekend.

Our "major" winter storm is sort of fizzling out here in mid-north Indiana....most of the snow seems to be in my grandchildrens' backyard in Columbus! They were having lots of fun this afternoon....kids and dogs!

I wonder if starlings sense a storm approaching.....have only had 3 or 4 all winter, and today there were suddenly a dozen or more....and they are such piggies! Maybe if they ate with a little more restraint (Ha!) they wouldn't be so objectionable....they sure throw stuff around...but then so do blue jays.

Ah well....since I can't pick and choose who is coming for dinner, I will be content to feed them all.

I love a brown creeper sighting. I haven't had one this year but I have in past winters. I can't share how I feel about starlings here. A flock of them visited my feeder, but luckily they did not return. It is a battery powered, squirrel-proof feeder. I hope they got a real charge out of it!

I was placidly counting feeder birds this afternoon for PFW when a red-tailed hawk swooped down at the edge of the yard going after some little bird....he came up empty footed though.....and I had an "aha" moment....the reason (or so it seemed to me!) that he didn't get his intended target was due to the brushy vegetation all over the place.

I guess I just didn't realize how huge the rt hawk's wings are....he was doing a lot of squirming around, but couldn't seem to get close enough, fast enough.

Where the feeders are concentrated, it is brushy with a couple huge old maple trees nearby (actually several feeders hang from the tree limbs), and I have also built up some small brush piles.

I know the hawks have to eat too...but I wouldn't want them to "get" any of my feeding birds!

Got a real treat today - saw a pair of pileated wps in front yard working over several trees. Ran for camera and got some distant photos.

Very exciting, Sara!!! There is a pair of pileateds who visit my suet feeders daily, but never together. I just love to watch them.

One day recently, the male was hanging on the suet basket, and the sun hit him at just the 'right' angle....that red moustache was just brilliant. What a handsome fellow!

Starlings arrived today with the COLD weather. Hard to deny them food - but when they get piggy - I step in - the other birds seem to know what I'm doing and wait till the starlings leave! The poor little warbler and c.wren followed each other today - mostly seeking nuts and suet. It pays to have a variety of feeders in several different locations.

Yesterday afternoon, one of the Carolina wrens flew into the garage while the small side door was open. She seemed reluctant to come out, even when I opened the big door....but I thought she had.

I went out early this morning, not to return until mid-afternoon, and as the big door went up, there she was flying around inside the garage! She had apparently 'laid low' when I entered this morning....and again tried to hide behind some stuff in a rear corner.

I finally coaxed her out, shut the door, and about 15 minutes later she (or her mate) hopped into their roosting basket by the living room window! That was about an hour earlier than they usually go to bed!

Evidently the stay in the garage overnight and most of the day did not hurt her, but I guess she was glad to get settled in her own bed!

Marianna - I often find the wrens in our garage - I used to chase them out but now leave them alone - crack a window at the top so they can come and go at will - they are looking for insects - but not likely to find them in the winter. I'm anxiously looking for my pair this a.m. Saw one filling up on suet and seed yesterday - but so far no sign of either today. They may still be in their nestbox as it is in the sun! It was -4 here last night and they don't do well in cold weather! Have seen the warbler at every feeder today - busy little guy!!

A flock of Common Gracles. They even tried the hanging feeder and managed to spill some seeds on the ground and then eat them off the snow.

Ever since one Carolina wren was shut up in the garage (accidentally, of course!), I have only seen one around...going into their roost in the evening, feeding etc.

So around 5 tonight, I checked the roosting place, it was empty, so I sat inside beside the window to watch.

Sure enough....here came one, who does lots of beak opening and closing (like she is silently muttering), and finally the second one flew up. It took them 10 minutes of hopping around, flying in and out of the bushes etc. before they followed one another into the roost for the night.

I was relieved! :eek:)

I'm really fed up with birds at the moment. Just spent 2 HOURS watching the pair of c.wrens going to bed. After waking me up at 4:45 with her chatter - I started my watch. Finally 1 1/2 hrs later she popped into her house. Then he (smaller) came along and popped in - only to be met with chatter and popped out. He tried 4 times!!! I finally grabbed one of my ornate indoor birdhouses and stuffed it with kleenex and scolded Mrs. wren and put the 2nd house on the chiminea cover close by. Unfortunately I didn't see him again - now I'll fret all night about him. At least it won't be as cold tonight as it has been.

Well, I guess they HAVE been amicable so far this winter, Sara......and they sure are cute!

There is someone else in Indiana who is watching these cuties too...I read a little share on www.indianaaudubon.org tonight relating a pair of c. wrens who go in and out of a garage apparently through a small opening at the bottom of the door chewed by a rodent....to snuggle up in the bottom of a plastic bag which is covering some lawn furniture!

I find that amazing! The pair I am blessed with have a roosting pouch (which I bought) smushed into an old hanging flower basket, surrounded by cotton batting and llama hair! But it's outside, though protected on two sides by walls of my house.

I hope your little lady settles down, Sara! Bet her little man hopes so too!

I saw a hawk carrying off a small bird in my yard probably a sparrow or finch. I think it was a sharpshinned but i'm not sure. Then he had the nerve to come back twice after that the same day!

Marianna and Sara, your both lucky to see pileated woodpeckers and I know Celeste has them in her yard. I sure would like to see one some time!

I hope you do get to see one Shar, they are remarkable. I hope they are not getting too used to us...I found 2 new holes, small but deep, about 2 feed off the ground, in a healthy tree about 20 feet from my front door. We were not planning to take this tree down.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back