• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Species of birds around bracken/fern/woodland (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

quite a broad question....

But what types of birds would be found sitting on Bracken/Ferns in woodland/moorland and such?

I know only smaller ones, but which? Specifically sitting on it...

A list would be wonderful and appreciated...

Thank you! :)

Hi all,

quite a broad question....

But what types of birds would be found sitting on Bracken/Ferns in woodland/moorland and such?

I know only smaller ones, but which? Specifically sitting on it...

A list would be wonderful and appreciated...

Thank you! :)

I regularly visit a valley where Whinchat, Reed Bunting, Meadow Pipit and Stonechat breed.
They can often be seen on the bracken or thistles growing among the bracken.
Bracken's a brilliant habitat for birds- plenty of dense cover and insects for food for them.

There is a fairly large area of Bracken near my house. a Nightjar territory in the middle of it is the highlight so far. Has only happened one spring out of 10 or 11 years though, and hawking around the Bracken as opposed to sitting on it though.
Similarly Woodcock, overhead as opposed to on!

Goldcrest (and/or Firecrest) wouldn't look out of place foraging within the bracken.

Maybe Adder basking underneath and Speckled Wood Butterfly, if you want to go all out "Fantasy patch of Bracken!"

I regularly visit a valley where Whinchat, Reed Bunting, Meadow Pipit and Stonechat breed.
They can often be seen on the bracken or thistles growing among the bracken.
Bracken's a brilliant habitat for birds- plenty of dense cover and insects for food for them.

Wonderful, thank you so much!

So would most smaller birds be found on bracken?

Sorry for all questions, just after a nice selection :)

There is a fairly large area of Bracken near my house. a Nightjar territory in the middle of it is the highlight so far. Has only happened one spring out of 10 or 11 years though, and hawking around the Bracken as opposed to sitting on it though.
Similarly Woodcock, overhead as opposed to on!

Goldcrest (and/or Firecrest) wouldn't look out of place foraging within the bracken.

Maybe Adder basking underneath and Speckled Wood Butterfly, if you want to go all out "Fantasy patch of Bracken!"

Lovely, thank you! Firecrest are very beautiful.

Yes, smaller birds such as those listed, that can either perch on top as a lookout, rest for a few seconds or flit and search for insects etc amongst or underneath the bracken fronds. I have also seen a variety of warblers from chiffchaff, whitethroat and Reed warblers amongst this fern.

Thank you!

Trying to find the ones which will look the most visually striking when being drawn but only in black/grey. So I guess with striking patterns/markings. :)

Linnet too, especially if there's handy gorse bushes for their nests.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back