Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Two hummingbird feeder questions

Old Tuesday 26th June 2018, 23:55   #1
MrBJones

Two hummingbird feeder questions

I put up a hummingbird feeder earlier today, without an ant guard....one is coming from Amazon, should be delivered tomorrow. Anyway, the ants have already found the feeder. So my question is -- Is there any reason I shouldn't leave the feeder as is (with ants) until tomorrow, and just clean everything and add the guard when it gets here? Or should I take it in now and put it back out tomorrow, with the guard?

Thanks
Old Wednesday 27th June 2018, 01:03   #2
MrBJones

Oops...second question was How long will Kaytee ElectroNectar last before it goes bad and needs to be thrown out? Daily high temps here are running mid/high 90s every day. The stuff has some sort of a preservative...will that make a difference?
Old Wednesday 27th June 2018, 15:02   #3
ducbucln
BF Supporter 2018

First, I hope you get the ant guard today. Ants can really be a problem.
I don't recommend the red pre-made sugar water. Some say it's bad for the birds.
Mix 1 cup of sugar with 4 cups of boiling water. Until you have lots of hummers, just put a small amount in the feeder and store the rest in the fridge for up to 7 days. I change my feeders daily, and sometimes more, when the temps get to the 90's. Sugar water does go bad quickly in the heat so be sure and keep it fresh. Also, be sure to keep plain water in the ant guard as some of your other birds might stop for a drink.

Welcome to BirdForum!

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: