Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Northern Flickers at Joe Wheeler in Alabama USA

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 19th October 2009, 14:26   #1
MelissaM

Northern Flickers at Joe Wheeler in Alabama USA

Northern Flickers arent rare for most people but I've been trying to see one for 3 years now and they have escaped me until yesterday. It was quite windy and cool here and I wasnt feeling well but I asked my fiance if we could take a quick drive from southern middle Tennessee down to Joe Wheeler State Park in northern Alabama and look for some water birds and he agreed. I was gonna bird from the jeep as I do quite frequently as I have rheumatoid arthritis. So the trip didnt start off very well as all I was seeing was Great Blue Herons which are very common here. I was hoping to see some migrating duck varities. So we kept driving and near picnic shelter number 3 near the beach area I yelled STOP! NORTHERN FLICKER. I gathered myself together and to my surprise the pine forest was full of them!!!!! I bet there were 20 or more of them flitting from tree to tree. Got some great pics of them along with either a downy or hairy woodpecker. Havent studied it enough to decide which one yet. We've had both in our yard so I know they are hard to tell apart. Also saw carolina chickadees, eastern bluebirds and a lil yellow bird similiar to a goldfinch but they wouldnt still be yellow would they? Havent made a positive identification on it yet. Anyway we stayed there for like 30 minutes before the whole group moved on around the lake area. It was amazing!!!!! Certainly made my day, week, month...
Old Tuesday 20th October 2009, 03:31   #2
Lisa W
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2018

Congratulations, it's always nice to finally get that nemesis bird.

My birding photos
RV Travel Blog

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 20th October 2009, 11:14   #3
Jim M.
Choose Civility

I believe Northern Flickers were the birds that got Roger Tory Peterson into birding, so you certainly have good company in finding them special.

By the way, if you learn their calls you might find them easier to find in the future. Especially the sharp "Kyeer". See here: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/N...Flicker/sounds

Best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim M. : Tuesday 20th October 2009 at 11:17.

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 24th October 2009, 20:49   #4
carjug

I'm 60 miles south of Gatlinburg. Low Elevation.
I've been getting lots of Flickers, but only one Hairy all Summer long! Downys are downright ordinary here.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: