• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Orion models (1 Viewer)

FrankD

Just received an email from Orion. I guess I must be on their email list now that I picked up some items from their website. They have some new models. Nothing to get really excited about...two small 8x32 roofs and two 36 mm porros. The roofs aren't phasecoated but are inexpensive. The porros have a narrow field of view. Thought I would mention it regardless.

http://www.telescope.com/Shop-by-Brand/Orion-Product-Center/Orion-Binoculars/pc/8/c/90/115.uts

orion 8x32 looks a lot like brunton echo

I'm glad to see Orion still carries the 8x42 Ultraview, which at $149, might end up as my "car bins".

I owned the 10x50 Ultraview, and while the edges would have been fine for birding, they were under par (a good thing in golf but not for stargazing).

I didn't like the plastic armoring, which separated from the housing after only a few nights in cold weather.

At the time, the Ultraviews had fold down rubber eyecups, not sure about the facial fit of the newer twist-up cups, which tend to be rather large in wide field porros.

A long-time favorite missing from the Orion bin line-up is the 8x42 Vista. The armoring was made from fine "Corinthian leather". :)

Whatever it was, the armoring was soft as a baby's bottom and holding the bins felt like wearing Italian leather gloves. Of course, I would imagine they would show wear more quickly than hard rubber armoring. I think these might have been re-badged Vixen Ultimas.

The new roofs seem like "clones" but most of what Orion sells under its brand name are re-badged clones. So that's nothing new.

I hadn't ordered from Orion in years but oddly last Christmas received a catalog from them. They used to send out catalogs at least three times or four times a year. That had to get expensive for them.

Brock

Could I get that zoom monocular to work on a monopod?
Kind of disappointing how they keep carrying new binos for day use with such poor close focus.
Anywho, I do not have the zoom monocular, but i do have the Orion 10x42 monocular. They are similar in build i think. I did a short write up recently on it somewhere in the bino forum.
The wrist strap actually attaches via the tripod screw hole. I have used it on a tripod and a monopod. Works fine.
I would be interested in hearing about the zoom version. I did send an email to Orion awhile back. They claim the ER is constant on the zoom. If true, that would be amazing given the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back