• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kauai, Hawaii: Alae Ula? (1 Viewer)

nartreb

Speak softly and carry a long lens
I thought this was a boring Common Moorhen, but now I learn there's an endangered endemic nonmigratory Hawaiian subspecies. Is there any way to tell the subspecies apart?

Or can any moorhen on Kauaii be assumed to belong to subspecies sanvicensis? This might be my rarest bird ever, and I almost didn't take a photo.

Larger photo: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8363/8373802185_84cd5978f8_h.jpg

Attachments

• 8373802185_777c7673ab_c.jpg
    8373802185_777c7673ab_c.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 246
And... I just discovered there's an endangered subspecies of Stilt, too. Same question.

Had good light on a mated (i presume) pair of stilts, but didn't have my long lens with me. Sorry for the lousy photo.

Hm, this one is banded. I'm pretty sure its mate was not, though I don't have a photo with both knees clearly out of the water.

Attachments

• IMG_9182_crop.JPG
    IMG_9182_crop.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
As far as I know, there is no record of the migratory subspecies of the Common Gallinule (due to a recent split, the European species is not referred to as Common Moorhen, while the American species Common Gallinule) on Hawaii.

For more Hawaiian bird info, check out this site:

http://www.birdinghawaii.co.uk/

The main difference from the mainland form is that the frontal shield appears slightly larger and extends higher up the forehead than on the mainland form.

As for the Hawaiian stilt, the black of its neck reaches much farther forward than the mainland form. I guess the mainland form is theoretically possible, but I don't think it's been documented in Hawaii.

Thanks.

Those are some subtle marks. I think I can see a difference in how far above the eye the shield reaches, but I'd not trust myself to make that call without side-by-side birds in identical postures. I was hoping the red on its shins would be diagnostic.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back