• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Bird Guide for Android Survey (1 Viewer)

Hi

About to upgrade my android phone and would like to use this android app on my new phone. I see some people are using Moto G4, LG G3/4 and I wonder if there are any further recommendations. Would be nice if the new phone would be water resistant as well as we birders sometimes get caught out in some filthy weather at times.

Thanks

The Moto G4plus is good value in my opinion and is water resistant.
Also comes with expandable storage so you could store the apps data there.

Forgive my ignorance regarding technical matters but would this app work on a Kindle Fire?

It is a different "branch" of the Android OS on a Fire, so unless you can install Google Play on the Fire, the answer would be no.
Unless and until it is available on the Amazon Apps.

Does anyone else find that when the photos are selected and zoomed in it won't let you scroll down so the bottom section can't be seen?

In reply to John Cantelo

I wouldn't commit 100%. But, I run lots of non Amazon stuff on the Kindle Fire.

Can't remember the details but I've installed Google Play Services/Google Store/Google Services Framework as required. Needles to say all info needed to get round Kindle's limitations are available on the web!!!.

Best to contact the app developers for advice though.

It is a different "branch" of the Android OS on a Fire, so unless you can install Google Play on the Fire, the answer would be no.
Unless and until it is available on the Amazon Apps.
I have just downloaded the Collins App on my Kindle Fire HD 8( 6th gen) without any problems. Follow these instructions on this link https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/
It takes a few minutes to load once downloaded and away you go!

It works just fine on my iPad Mini. (What a fabulous app!) Is there some particular problem on an iPhone, or am I misunderstanding you?

I think he's complaining about the price of the Apple version vis-a-vis the android. I've had the Apple version since it came out and it's worked flawlessly on all my iOS devices.

Yes me is up to date. And I've contacted the developers before the major update on this issue.
But looks like I have to deal with it and look forwards new updates.

A quick note on the Collins Guide:

I finally took the plunge and actually bought a couple of apps for my android, among them the Collins Guide. So far I really, really like it. It's fast, no hiccups at all on my Note 4 running Android 6.01. Great app.

BTW, does anyone here have any experience running Android in a sandbox under Windows 10? My tablet is a Windows 10 tablet for a variety of reasons, and I'd quite like to be able to run the app on it.

Hermann

Am loving the app - am going to leave the paper copy at home now, and replace this with a powerbank to recharge (should I need to) my phone on the go going forwards.

Biggest positives for me are the zoomable images, and the playable voices.

An improvement that could help me is if we could set the initial menu icon to be one bird across, rather than two, making this bigger, also with bigger text. Also if the narrative on each bird etc were zoomable - I could then use it without my glasses!

My wife and I have installed the Android version on our phones and its working well. However, I cannot see any instructions as to how to transfer the app to a new phone. I know that, on this thread, it was said to be easy to do it between Iphones. Anyone know how it works for the Android version? Fortunately, we both have new phones and won't face the issue for a while!

My wife and I have installed the Android version on our phones and its working well. However, I cannot see any instructions as to how to transfer the app to a new phone. I know that, on this thread, it was said to be easy to do it between Iphones. Anyone know how it works for the Android version? Fortunately, we both have new phones and won't face the issue for a while!

I think if you installed it from Google Play you should be able to install any apps you've bought previously onto a new device. You would just set up the new device with your Google account and download.

Andrew's answer is correct, if you buy any app from the Google Play Store, a record of it is retained, so as long as you are using the same Google (Gmail) account, you can reinstall it on any other device.

When I first purchased the app in the week it was released as a beta I asked the developers if we'd be getting the video library available on IOS. They replied that we would and they estimated about six months. That's gone by now but we don't yet have the video downloads options so I have contacted them again and am waiting for a reply. Does anyone else have any news on this?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back