• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk in Nebraska (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
We have mostly redtails and rough legged in winter. This I think is a bird that has been here a year. Lancaster county today

Attachments

• IMG_9336 branched oak crop.jpg
    IMG_9336 branched oak crop.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 81
What about the tail bands? length of tail does seem to be redtail.

I'm not doing the bird count in that area, but we do have a hawk there just two weeks ago that is not a red tail.

OK, I checked the recent Nov pictures from there and this is not what I was looking for.

Redtail.

Last edited:
What about the tail bands? length of tail does seem to be redtail.

I'm not doing the bird count in that area, but we do have a hawk there just two weeks ago that is not a red tail.

OK, I checked the recent Nov pictures from there and this is not what I was looking for.

Redtail.

Tail bands are a feature seen on the sometimes-debated Northern subspecies abieticola, but also on "Western" Red-tail adults. Not sure if you're far enough west to get some "Western" genes in the population, but certainly a Red-tail to me.

This one in Post #7 looks like the 4th bird pictured in your check list in post #6 above. Same bird maybe?

They all look like dark morph Red-tailed Hawks. You indicate that they are pictures of one bird.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back