• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Sporter 10x36 (2 Viewers)

mook

Hi everyone, would just like to say that I've recently rediscovered this great hobby...shopping for new bins....err, birdwatching I mean! BirdForum is proving to be most informative & I'd like any opinions on Nikon's Sporter 10x36 bins. From what I gather, I can't really go wrong with Nikon...? I'm after a good useable pair of x10 roofs & at the moment the Nikons are a great price. I dont wear specs, so eye relief isn't a major issue - just quality at a reasonable price. Any thoughts on Swift's 10x25 Trilyte Compacts? They're about the same price. Any opinions welcome, thanks. M.

Hi Mook,

I've used the 10x36, if only briefly. They were good value at £209 at £115 they are steal.

Last edited:
Hi mook,
I recently bought a pair of the 10x36 Sporters. Excellent value from Warehouse Express (although I don't think you have to make any excuses for these bins based on price!). I find they are well made, and give a bright clear image. Close focus is good (I haven't got them with me at the moment, but I guess about 2.5m).

Some people have criticised the eye cups for not staying securely in place. I use them fully extended and they appear to stay put for me. Also they are only water resistant not fully waterproof. This has caused me no problems so far.

Overall I'm very pleased with them and you'd struggle to find something better for £115.

Des.

They are my only good pair. The field of view is a bit small for what you expect for 36mm, but good enough for me. I am so used to 10x, I will take the loss of FOV. I use one pair of 8x which is water proof in any weather, though the Nikons are water resistant, I guess for light rain.

I can see good detail pretty far with the Nikons. A cheaper 10x pair I have does not give me that sharpness far away.

I got some and I don't have any real problem with the eye cups either but maybe later when they wear a bit, they do strike me as being heavy however but that could just be me, they are a nice glass though.

Mick

OK Mook,
If you don't wear spec's, then the 10x36 Sporters are great! I have a pair and their optics are perfectly clear and bright. Unfortunately, I wear glasses, and their eye relief really bothered me. I got an 8x36 earlier this week, and they are fine. I just wish that the twist-up eyecups stay wear you want them to. But I don't want to go into my problems.
Also, do you need 100% waterproof and nitrogen filled binoculars? Sporters are not.
Just decide how important waterproof, (and fog-up proof) binoculars are for your
birding.
marcus

Thanks guys for your views. Seems like they're a good enough option for their spec/price. Apart from the eyecups (not really a major gripe), no one seems to have a bad word to say about these Nikons.

I'd choose the 8x36 myself, which at £99-00 are truly good value. The 8x offer a wider field of view and a brighter image. That said, if you really want the 10x, you won't go far wrong. Remember that most birders eventually end up with 8x bins - they are easier to hold still and, as said already, have a wider field of view.

I guess I will always dissent with th 8x are good enough view. I am quite happy at 10x and after a half year absolutely sure I, ..not everyone.., would have been unhappy at the 8x level.

Otherwise the 8x and 10x Sporters are almost identical in shape, quality, weight etc.

I'm sure the 10x are a fine binocular; the 36mm diameter objective makes the 10x binoculars rather less than ideal for dusk to dawn birding in the northern hemisphere where light can sometimes be at a premium - another reason to consider the 8x, if that is your need.

I have a pair of the 8*36 and am most happy with them. They are quite robust which suits me as a lot of my birding is rather active and they were nicely priced considering my limited budget. My only nit is the eyecups as has been mentioned before but I have found that a couple of thick elastic bands as mentioned in an earlier thread works well. I have also been caught out in a downpour with them and they came through unscathed and unfogged... Still looking for that first 'tick' with them though ;-)

Cheers
Tim

thick elastic bands! I did not notice that first. Good idea. Just walking around is enough to make the cups go back in.

mook said:
Hi everyone, would just like to say that I've recently rediscovered this great hobby...shopping for new bins....err, birdwatching I mean! BirdForum is proving to be most informative & I'd like any opinions on Nikon's Sporter 10x36 bins. From what I gather, I can't really go wrong with Nikon...? I'm after a good useable pair of x10 roofs & at the moment the Nikons are a great price. I dont wear specs, so eye relief isn't a major issue - just quality at a reasonable price. Any thoughts on Swift's 10x25 Trilyte Compacts? They're about the same price. Any opinions welcome, thanks. M.

The 10x25 will have a smaller exit pupil making viewing a bit less comfortable. The 8x36 Sporter will have 4.5mm exit pupils which will be better. As to which is brighter, the 10x36 or the 10x25, depends on the coatings and prisms.

I prefer 8x to 10x (less shake, more depth of field, less eye strain, greater field of view) but that's just my personal preference.

Leif

I know, this was dumb. I glued the eyecups on my 10x36 Sporters in place , where the eyerelief is perfect. Now, those are probably my favorite binoculars. But don't anyone else do that.
marcus

I've thought of doing the same. In your research before turning to the pot of glue, did you discover if the twist-up eyecups are easily removable?

Tero said:
thick elastic bands! I did not notice that first. Good idea. Just walking around is enough to make the cups go back in.
I missed that gem first time round too!
I'll be trying it out over the weekend......see if it will make a great pair of bins even better!!

(I have the 8X36 btw)

Hello Steve
Even though I glued my 8x36 eyecups too, I don't think anybody else should do it. I'll admit that it's not the 'smartest' idea. Rubberbands is a better idea.
I think that it was me who brought up the rubberband idea too, a while back in another thread. Apparently it's getting some support now.
marcus

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back