• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter turns a corner into spring (in more ways than one) (1 Viewer)

SimonC

Still listing - I'll capsize one day
First I ought to explain the rather vague title of this thread.
Some of you may have noticed I've been conspicuous by my absence of late? Well, I've been having a few "life moments" (as Darren might put it) recently. Nearly five weeks ago, on the 20th of February, my wife gave birth to a son, three months prematurely. This was, as you can probably guess, a huge shock to both of us but, in short, he is doing extremely well at the moment and it looks like he's going to be out of hospital fairly soon (a lot sooner than we prepared ourselves for originally!)

So, as our lives have started to recover and turn a corner again, Yesterday I thought I might allow myself an hour or two out of the schedule of hospital visits to get a spot of birding done on my local patch.
Not really expecting much this early in the season, but glad to be out in the fresh air again I set off round the site (an old disused landfill site alongside the A1M)
First thing that struck me was the sheer number of Skylarks exploding from the tussocks of grass and singing there heads off! That's one sound that has got to be high on even non-birders lists of things that signal spring has definitely begun?
With my spirits definitely lifted now I carried on along the path until a small bird flew across showing a huge white bum. Not a Wheatear inland this early surely? It was though, and he wasn't alone! I stood and watched these two splendid specimens, almost 'drinking' in the apricot of the throat and flanks, the smart black mask and the blue of their heads and backs (i don't think there's many more birds more handsome than a fresh spring male N. Wheatear are there?)
After tearing myself away from these two, the next group of birds was a remnant of the wintering flock of Meadow Pipits, still around 20 of them, creeping along like mice, almost invisible (in fact i only appreciated just how many were in front of me when a sparrowhawk spooked them and they all got up together!)

Time was getting on now and I needed to be back at work, so I started making my way back to the car, feeling glad that I forced myself to have some 'time out' as i felt a lot better for it. The last bird to make an appearance was my old friend, the wintering Male Stonechat that's been there since at least December, only he appears to have found a mate now! I shall be keeping an eye on these two as a record of breeding at this site would most likely be noteworthy.

All in all, a good day for me. Maybe not spectacular in a rarity chasing sense, but proof that simple things can lift the spirits and give you an inner strength with which to cope with whatever life throws your way.

(pass the sick bucket someone ;) )

Last edited:
I'm welling up Simon. Very best wishes to your wife and son.

We're still waiting for Wheatears up here but any day soon I hope. The first of spring is certainly one of the most uplifting sights whatever one's circumstances.

Andrew Whitehouse said:
I'm welling up Simon..

You sentimental fool!! ;)

Andrew Whitehouse said:
Very best wishes to your wife and son.

Thanks, little one is coming on in leaps and bounds, He'll soon be coming out birding with me!

Andrew Whitehouse said:
........The first of spring is certainly one of the most uplifting sights whatever one's circumstances.........

This is very true, i'm really looking forward to my first hirundines now, can't wait!

It's amazing how Mother Nature can take care of us sometimes, when we so desperately need it.

Best of luck and Happy Spring to you and your family, Simon.

As in the words of the great Ad Rock from the Beastie Boys

You've got the skills to pay the bills

I've been having a bad time myself lately. Infact I almost started a thread the other day called:

The best way to avoid suicide is a day out in Norfolk

Anyway Simon, enough of this maudlin, melancholic crap from the pair of us. I want you back on form posting pictures of pancake-clad rabbits again. Your little lad is doing fine, spring's here, there'll be a MEGA in the next couple of weeks and I'm getting a new guitar soon.

Life's great ... ish

Tommo :)

tom mckinney said:
As in the words of the great Ad Rock from the Beastie Boys

You've got the skills to pay the bills

I've been having a bad time myself lately. Infact I almost started a thread the other day called:

The best way to avoid suicide is a day out in Norfolk

Anyway Simon, enough of this maudlin, melancholic crap from the pair of us. I want you back on form posting pictures of pancake-clad rabbits again. Your little lad is doing fine, spring's here, there'll be a MEGA in the next couple of weeks and I'm getting a new guitar soon.

Life's great ... ish

Tommo :)

Nice one Tom!
I'm trawling the web for a bunny pancake replacement as we speak!

Nice one Simon, saw my first Wheatear today too and it was a corking male as well. Spring is deffo here as there was a Sarny Tern too.

Best wishes to the wife and glad the sprog is well.

Just shows how a little birding enlightens and refreshes the soul!!

All the best to all three of you!My grand neice Katherine was three monthe prem
and it was a hard time till she was at home and it all went from strength to strength!!
Watch out for those sleepless nights...they do eventually get better!!! ;)

Watched a pair of Skylarks on Sunday....it is a sign of spring isnt it!!

Congratulations Simon, great to hear mum & little fella doing so well, also a good start to your birding, get ready for some very short nights.

Hearty congrats to you and your better half!

So where we gonna go birding then matey??
Paxton in May should be good..

Dave. :)

Yes, congratulations and best wishes to all three of you.

Hope you manage to pass on a love of nature to the next generation.

Have a great spring
James

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back