• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Geese and night migration (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
We've had Greater White-fronted Geese on the move over St Petersburg today and we can still hear them in the dark. Had no idea that Geese moved at night?

A

We've had Greater White-fronted Geese on the move over St Petersburg today and we can still hear them in the dark. Had no idea that Geese moved at night?

A

Several years ago I watched the Winged Migration documentary. It had footage of Snow Geese migrating at night.

We often hear them migrating at night (mainly pinks around here), but also moving from roosting fields to feeding areas in the dark all winter.

Thousands of Barnacle Geese arrived in Northumbs from the NE this morning; they had to be flying overnight (at least one night, maybe two) from their last stopover on Bear Island (north of Norway)

https://twitter.com/Mark_A_Eaton/status/917106083390541824
https://twitter.com/RossAhmed/status/917069841927942145

The second video is really impressive! I was at Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area in Lancaster, PA a few years ago when they had about 50,000 Snow Geese. I got to see most of them coming in, and each time a Bald Eagle came by the whole group would flush... magical.

It is normal.

Unless you see from the window parachuting soldiers without insignia - then it was not white-fronted geese. ;)

Geese migrating at night is a regular thing I suppose. In autumn I hear them quite often while at home or while jogging in late evening. In fact a loud flock passed over my home just a moment ago and it's almost midnight here. Pity I can't recognize geese by their voices ;)

Several years ago I watched the Winged Migration documentary. It had footage of Snow Geese migrating at night.

Winged Migration is not a documentary, it is a fiction feature film that relies heavily on imprinted birds for the shots as well as green screen or other technology: Barnacle Geese do not migrate across London accompanied by camera aircraft!

John

Winged Migration is not a documentary, it is a fiction feature film that relies heavily on imprinted birds for the shots as well as green screen or other technology: Barnacle Geese do not migrate across London accompanied by camera aircraft!

John

Good point John, a rather poor word choice on my part.

I did enjoy watching it very much, though.

I admit I didn't, but then I enjoyed the complete hokum of The Big Year on DVD recently - book was better though - we're all different!

John

Still haven't seen the DVD or read the book about The Big Year. I will probably get around to it sometime. I've never been too much into Big Years and chasing/twitching, though the WP Big Year has been interesting to follow.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back